Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LG95

That's just Penicks. They win with him only if they write the self-titled again. Not a dig, I enjoy reading him slag off everything new, right on cue.
I could float here forever

Vesanic

Not impressed with this one tbh

buflen

Quote from: Lincblade on Sep 17, 2020, 03:26 PM
Quote from: buflen on Sep 17, 2020, 02:49 PM
I have not listened to the song, because I decided to wait, but from what I read, I can see myself liking this much better than Pink/Triangle as an opening track. P/T was weak.

Pink Triangle is a Weezer song my dude
Song's so forgettable, I forgot its name.

Sleeping_Giant

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 17, 2020, 03:42 PM

Me too, especially because of the vocals. Intro & outro are cool tho...

Lincblade

Quote from: buflen on Sep 17, 2020, 03:44 PM
I have not listened to the song, because I decided to wait, but from what I read, I can see myself liking this much better than Pink/Triangle as an opening track. P/T was weak.

Song's so forgettable, I forgot its name.

Hey! That's...true   ;)

Sicario

Song may not be your cup o' tea. But how do you feel about the production/audio?
Men talk of killing time while time quietly kills them.

Moz La Punk

Already cracked and listened a second time, but this time on my high end receiver. Damn some lush guitar work in this song! Blew me away more the second time than the first time tbh haha.

Okay now I will wait till next week friday!

Vesanic

Quote from: Sicario on Sep 17, 2020, 03:53 PM

Song may not be your cup o' tea. But how do you feel about the production/audio?

My expectations may be on the wrong side.

The production is immense. I don't think it's overproduced, Deftones just probably got cleaner over time.

I liked how Terry mentioned that Chi's bass was basically the "floor" for all the other sounds and Sergio's is a very different thing. I guess in the back of my head I'm naively hoping that Sergio starts playing with his fingers on a 5-string "tradional" bass, and that's where I'm wrong.

The song is solid, there's no denying that. And congrats to Deftones for the banger, it's going to be another great release, I'm happy for them.

I guess I'm a little underwhelmed with the guitar work, mostly on the verses. I don't mind that Stef still resorts to powerchords but this 0-1-0-2-like move got old for me. The chorus of Lotion is perfect when it comes to that, it had the necessary twist while still being very simple. This sounds very generic imo.

The break is pretty cool, "salsa" like someone said. It reminds me a lot of when I saw At The Drive-In live. Between that and the CKY comparisons on the riff of Ohms, I'd say someone's been on a punk/post-hardcore binge.  ;D

Sorry if I sound like a total snob, this is just my opinion.

Inkblades

Now you guys are worrying me with this overproduced talk. This was my favorite song of the bunch he played that night, so I hope they didn't make some last minute tweaks. Guess I'll find out when the video drops.

elite54

Set your VPN to New Zealand

lungdamage

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Sep 17, 2020, 12:10 PM
Early Deftones is definitely one of the perks of New Zealand lol. Love the song, I feel like it's what they were going for with the last couple of albums but with with more interesting variation and better production to keep everything balanced in the mix.
Living in the future has it perks :)

Yeah, I'n this song, Terry is automating the kick and the snare a fair bit, along with with almost every other element in the mix. This is standard practice for a good mix engineer. It so refreshing considering how disjointed Gore sounded mix wise over the different songs. These songs will have there own little identities within parts of the songs. I rate that.

lungdamage

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Sicario

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 17, 2020, 04:14 PM

The production is immense. I don't think it's overproduced, Deftones just probably got cleaner over time.

I liked how Terry mentioned that Chi's bass was basically the "floor" for all the other sounds and Sergio's is a very different thing. I guess in the back of my head I'm naively hoping that Sergio starts playing with his fingers on a 5-string "tradional" bass, and that's where I'm wrong.

The song is solid, there's no denying that. And congrats to Deftones for the banger, it's going to be another great release, I'm happy for them.

I guess I'm a little underwhelmed with the guitar work, mostly on the verses. I don't mind that Stef still resorts to powerchords but this 0-1-0-2-like move got old for me. The chorus of Lotion is perfect when it comes to that, it had the necessary twist while still being very simple. This sounds very generic imo.

The break is pretty cool, "salsa" like someone said. It reminds me a lot of when I saw At The Drive-In live. Between that and the CKY comparisons on the riff of Ohms, I'd say someone's been on a punk/post-hardcore binge.  ;D

Don't sound like a snob at all. It's your opinion. And a well thought out one.
Men talk of killing time while time quietly kills them.

sharinglungs

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 17, 2020, 04:15 PM
Now you guys are worrying me with this overproduced talk. This was my favorite song of the bunch he played that night, so I hope they didn't make some last minute tweaks. Guess I'll find out when the video drops.

Sounds the same to me, other than now you can hear the guitars properly

DEF_RICHIE

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 17, 2020, 04:15 PM

Sounds amazing IMO, Terry is meant for Deftones.

Penicks

dunno if overproduced is the right word, i'm just not too impressed by the guitar. doesn't quite hit me in the face with crunch or a wall of sound, it's just there and it sounds fine and loud but it's nothing special, agreeing with ves

E-Money

I don't think it's over produced at all. I think the instruments all sounds great. I could do with less vocal effects but I've been saying that for the last 3 records.

This is a great comeback and a great album opener!

imbrie

Glad to read the mostly positive takes on Genesis. I'm holding out from listening to it until the album drops as I want it all to be fresh on first listen.

Is consensus that it's a good opening track?

B_S_79

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 17, 2020, 04:14 PM

Agreed. I joke that they have had the same riffs on every album, they just tune down or add another string for each album. Lol.

More impressed that they find melodies and songs out of some of their riffs over the course of 9 albums.

First listen I was like, damn this is great. Second listen I was like meh. Maybe it'll grow on me.

stu_101

Best opening track in years. Possibly ever.