Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Visionz

Quote from: secretbandinsider on Sep 17, 2020, 11:43 PM
Upon further listens Genesis is one of my least favorite songs of theirs. I'll take any song on Gore over this song, fight me. Apparently Stephen was disengaged on Gore but he's back in full form here supposedly, yet these are the riffs he came up with? What the hell? This song was a letdown yet the t/t was an unexpected sleeper hit, so I'm left with some massive cognitive dissonance about this album.

What is the "t/t" sleeper song?

Inkblades

Quote from: Visionz on Sep 18, 2020, 12:05 AM
Upon further listens Genesis is one of my least favorite songs of theirs. I'll take any song on Gore over this song, fight me. Apparently Stephen was disengaged on Gore but he's back in full form here supposedly, yet these are the riffs he came up with? What the hell? This song was a letdown yet the t/t was an unexpected sleeper hit, so I'm left with some massive cognitive dissonance about this album.

He means Ohms. t/t = title track.

ChubbyChino

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 17, 2020, 11:02 PM
Quote from: laurapalmer on Sep 17, 2020, 10:44 PM
After 3 listens, I enjoy the track just fine.... but am I alone in thinking that if it's Smile fucked Goon Squad?

It's like Leathers, Tempest, Rosemary, Goon Squad, Hexagram, Royal and the end of Beware all had a massive orgy. Don't get a Smile vibe, though.

The chorus is much less memorable and catchy than any of these songs though.  I like the song, but I think the chorus is meh. It builds up to an epic chorus but it turns out being one of their most boring choruses  so far in my opinion. Good song but Smile and Rosemary are waaaay better.  There are other songs with more beautiful choruses on this album.

Inkblades

Quote from: ChubbyChino on Sep 18, 2020, 12:06 AM
Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 17, 2020, 11:02 PM
Quote from: laurapalmer on Sep 17, 2020, 10:44 PM
After 3 listens, I enjoy the track just fine.... but am I alone in thinking that if it's Smile fucked Goon Squad?

It's like Leathers, Tempest, Rosemary, Goon Squad, Hexagram, Royal and the end of Beware all had a massive orgy. Don't get a Smile vibe, though.

The chorus is much less memorable and catchy than any of these songs though.  I like the song, but I think the chorus is meh. It builds up to an epic chorus but it turns out being one of their less epic choruses  so far in my opinion. Good song but Smile and Rosemary are waaaay better.  There are other songs with more beautiful choruses on this album.

The chorus is a huge grower for me. Also, the part where Chino sings the chorus and then goes back to screaming with "We're miles beyond the...SOUND!" is probably my single favorite moment of the song.

Visionz

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 18, 2020, 12:06 AM

::) Oh ok thanks bud

Inkblades

Quote from: Visionz on Sep 18, 2020, 12:09 AM
Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 18, 2020, 12:06 AM

::) Oh ok thanks bud

You're...welcome?

Visionz

I wouldnt have figured it out. Could have spelled out "Ohms" just as easily thats all

Ihateallofmyfriends

I'm really surprised this song is getting such a mixed reaction, it sounds MASSIVE. My initial reaction to Ohms was a bit meh but it's grown on me so much that I've had to force myself not to listen to it in anticipationof the album. This track got me instantly, bit like the first time I heard Poltergeist or Elite. Proper banger. I love the salsa bit too. I kinda wished they'd drawn that bit out for longer, reminded me a little bit of the middle part of Pneuma.

Visionz

So, would anyone else agree to what someone said about Frank that hes all over this track?

Draken

MUST... RESIST...LISTENING.

Ya'll have no idea how crazy your descriptions and shit sound along with my mental projection of what this thing sounds like, haha. "Salsa"? LMAO! I thought someone was joking when I read that but now I've seen that word like three times already. Ugh, idk if I can fight the urge until next week!  ;D

secretbandinsider

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 18, 2020, 12:01 AM
Quote from: secretbandinsider on Sep 17, 2020, 11:49 PM
I don't know, I just expected your Deftones-based autism to kick in

LOL...isn't thinking Xenon > Genesis the true Deftones-based autism, though?

Guess I haven't changed after all.  ;D

Funny you say that cause Xenon has been inexplicably stuck in my head lately, unironically.

Ihateallofmyfriends

Quote from: Visionz on Sep 18, 2020, 12:25 AM
So, would anyone else agree to what someone said about Frank that hes all over this track?

There is some cool synth stuff, almost like an 8 bit vibe but like a boss fight sort of sound. One of the things I like about this track is that the synth parts aren't hidden in the mix, even though its heavy as shit it elevates the guitar parts

Inkblades

Quote from: secretbandinsider on Sep 18, 2020, 12:41 AM
Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 18, 2020, 12:01 AM

LOL...isn't thinking Xenon > Genesis the true Deftones-based autism, though?

Guess I haven't changed after all.  ;D

Funny you say that cause Xenon has been inexplicably stuck in my head lately, unironically.

I actually kinda like Xenon, too - not one of their more epic songs, but it's a funky little tune. I mentioned it because it seems like one of those songs that gets absolutely no love from the fans.

It still ain't seeing Genesis in any way, shape or form, though!  :D

Visionz

Visionz

Xenon reminds me so much of Jane's Addiction.  It could have been on one of their last records

Vesanic

:(

kleptoned

I thought the exact same thing about the pneuma comparison
Quote from: Ihateallofmyfriends on Sep 18, 2020, 12:24 AM
I'm really surprised this song is getting such a mixed reaction, it sounds MASSIVE. My initial reaction to Ohms was a bit meh but it's grown on me so much that I've had to force myself not to listen to it in anticipationof the album. This track got me instantly, bit like the first time I heard Poltergeist or Elite. Proper banger. I love the salsa bit too. I kinda wished they'd drawn that bit out for longer, reminded me a little bit of the middle part of Pneuma.

sharinglungs

secretbandinsider

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 18, 2020, 12:55 AM

:(

Come on I thought you could relate and this would be like a bonding moment

Sleeping_Giant

Quote from: ChubbyChino on Sep 18, 2020, 12:06 AMThere are other songs with more beautiful choruses on this album.

Promise me... ;D

God I wish that Ohms will have at least one song that will stuck in my head for years just like Bloody Cape, Digital Bath, Passenger or Pink Maggit. No matter what's happening around me, these songs are always welcome...