Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMLiberator

I feel like this is just as odd a choice for an opener as Ohms was for a closer, as their openers are usually much more straightforward (except for Feiticeira) and radio friendly (except for Hexagram probably) than this. I do not say this as a bad thing at all, though.

What I definitely threw me off were the slightly but clearly out of tune vocals in the chorus and especially, and I can't stress that enough, how the delayed vocals suddenly go mono and sound like they're closer to you than the actual vocals, as they travel 'inwards' rather than 'outwards'. That one effect in particular felt really offensive to my ears.

Everything else was ace tho. Really liked that break.
i'm confused??

rainnyx4

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 17, 2020, 07:57 PM
rainnyx4 is it vinyl collective?

Nah, it's a smaller forum with a very insular community. There's still diversity of opinion considering the band and their songs, but some pretty strong consensus there that conflicts with sentiments I tend to get around here. For example, I'm in agreement with this other forum that S/T was arguably their worst (along with Gore) and KNY was probably their best work since WP. Seems to be a lot more fawning over S/T and criticism of KNY around here by comparison, though pretty much everyone agrees Gore was garbage.

Inkblades

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Sep 17, 2020, 08:04 PM

Nah, it's a smaller forum with a very insular community. There's still diversity of opinion considering the band and their songs, but some pretty strong consensus there that conflicts with sentiments I tend to get around here. For example, I'm in agreement with this other forum that S/T was arguably their worst (along with Gore) and KNY was probably their best work since WP. Seems to be a lot more fawning over S/T and criticism of KNY around here by comparison, though pretty much everyone agrees Gore was garbage.

Is it 4chan?

Vesanic

Quote from: LG95 on Sep 17, 2020, 08:01 PM
Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 17, 2020, 07:59 PM
Quote from: LG95 on Sep 17, 2020, 07:57 PM
Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 17, 2020, 07:53 PM
I don't like that debate. It's true that Linkin Park got rid of everything that made them them, but that was a case of a band going with a sound that they really, really liked. Ever since after Meteora, one can't deny that Linkin Park has been highly experimental, more so than Deftones dare I say. I know one of the most hardcore LP fans and they love One More Light.
Experimental, if you count copying sounds that were big three or four years earlier 'experimental'.

*laughs in Diamond Eyes*

Experimental in the sense they made something they hadn't done before. Expecting artists to be groundbreaking in this day and age is silly imo.
Chasm of difference between 'groundbreaking' and just ripping off a load of stuff that was big recently.

I don't see what's wrong with following trends if you actually dig those trends, which they seemed to do. I don't need to remind you they were huge fans of Deftones and probably still are. I think the influences they went with happened to be what was successful, I don't think they were like "Oh this was successfully commercial so I need to include it in my album". But hey, I've been hearing "Linkin Park is such a commercial joke band" since high school, I'm not surprised to see how long that opinion has lasted.

ANattyRat

Quote from: sharinglungs on Sep 17, 2020, 04:46 PM
I like that Sergio is doing backing vocals.

Is he? I remember people said he was doing backing vocals on a song from DE/KNY but it was just Chino lol.

I love Ohms and how different it is from what you expect from them, but this is that familiar feeling you get from a new Deftones song. It's fresh but it's unmistakable. The guitar in the intro reminds me a lot of Pink Maggit, too. I don't have the words to go into detail about what I love about the song, but it's incredible. Also the guitar during the "climbing out of the ashes" part sounds very much like another one of their songs but I can't put my finger on it. The main guitar riff sounds like it would be at home on the self-titled album too, which is always welcome, but Chino's screaming parts remind me a lot of SNW. All in all, I'm very excited to listen to the rest of these songs. I don't know if I like how some of the vocals sound accompanying the music though, if that makes sense? Like, the singing parts sound good but then he hits you with shouting random words, I don't really like that. Not enough to say I don't love the song though, I've played it a lot already.

It kind of feels like there's a lot of inspiration from their previous albums. Not that they're copying them or being unoriginal, but just feels like this album is almost like a homage to what they've created so far, but with the influence and ideas of where they're at currently as a band.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Sep 17, 2020, 08:04 PM

I'll never understand how a Deftones fan couldn't like the Self Titled. But I do agree that Koi is at least the best album of the Sergio era.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

buflen

Was not expecting such a reaction for shitting on "One More Light". I personally think the album deserves it, and jumping on trends and making weaker version of it, while completely losing what defined you as a band is the worst you can do to your fanbase. If they really wanted to make that type of music, good for them, but if deftones made a full trip hop album, I'd be pissed, even if it was great trip hop album.

LG95

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 17, 2020, 08:05 PM
Quote from: LG95 on Sep 17, 2020, 08:01 PM
Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 17, 2020, 07:59 PM
Quote from: LG95 on Sep 17, 2020, 07:57 PM
Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 17, 2020, 07:53 PM
I don't like that debate. It's true that Linkin Park got rid of everything that made them them, but that was a case of a band going with a sound that they really, really liked. Ever since after Meteora, one can't deny that Linkin Park has been highly experimental, more so than Deftones dare I say. I know one of the most hardcore LP fans and they love One More Light.
Experimental, if you count copying sounds that were big three or four years earlier 'experimental'.

*laughs in Diamond Eyes*

Experimental in the sense they made something they hadn't done before. Expecting artists to be groundbreaking in this day and age is silly imo.
Chasm of difference between 'groundbreaking' and just ripping off a load of stuff that was big recently.

I don't see what's wrong with following trends if you actually dig those trends, which they seemed to do. I don't need to remind you they were huge fans of Deftones and probably still are. I think the influences they went with happened to be what was successful, I don't think they were like "Oh this was successfully commercial so I need to include it in my album". But hey, I've been hearing "Linkin Park is such a commercial joke band" since high school, I'm not surprised to see how long that opinion has lasted.
They can follow trends if they like but let's not pretend it was anything else.

As I once heard a music journalist say - if they'd come out a few years earlier they'd have sounded like Green Day, a few years before that they'd have sounded like Nirvana.
I could float here forever

DEF_RICHIE

Not sure why some aren't into the vocal effects, care to elaborate? I think it sounds great personally. I can't remember the last time they actually used a vocal effect like that...obviously the one that comes to mind the most is Digital Bath with that underwater type of effect. I actually love the effect used at the 1:30 mark almost reminds me of that DB effect with a bit of distortion but screaming added onto it rather than the whisper singing. Added some variety to the song for me.

"Balanced" and "Reborn" parts wasn't sure about the first couple listens, but after that I started to catch myself repeating that part so got catchy and now I love it.

LG95

Quote from: buflen on Sep 17, 2020, 08:14 PM
Was not expecting such a reaction for shitting on "One More Light". I personally think the album deserves it, and jumping on trends and making weaker version of it, while completely losing what defined you as a band is the worst you can do to your fanbase. If they really wanted to make that type of music, good for them, but if deftones made a full trip hop album, I'd be pissed, even if it was great trip hop album.
Half agree. I think if you want to make a specific type of record, you can; if you do a good version of it.

One More Light was a bad version of already well trodden musical territory. Just like most of their career.
I could float here forever

Inkblades

Quote from: ANattyRat on Sep 17, 2020, 08:12 PM
Quote from: sharinglungs on Sep 17, 2020, 04:46 PM
I like that Sergio is doing backing vocals.

Is he? I remember people said he was doing backing vocals on a song from DE/KNY but it was just Chino lol.

I love Ohms and how different it is from what you expect from them, but this is that familiar feeling you get from a new Deftones song. It's fresh but it's unmistakable. The guitar in the intro reminds me a lot of Pink Maggit, too. I don't have the words to go into detail about what I love about the song, but it's incredible. Also the guitar during the "climbing out of the ashes" part sounds very much like another one of their songs but I can't put my finger on it. The main guitar riff sounds like it would be at home on the self-titled album too, which is always welcome, but Chino's screaming parts remind me a lot of SNW. All in all, I'm very excited to listen to the rest of these songs. I don't know if I like how some of the vocals sound accompanying the music though, if that makes sense? Like, the singing parts sound good but then he hits you with shouting random words, I don't really like that. Not enough to say I don't love the song though, I've played it a lot already.

It kind of feels like there's a lot of inspiration from their previous albums. Not that they're copying them or being unoriginal, but just feels like this album is almost like a homage to what they've created so far, but with the influence and ideas of where they're at currently as a band.

Yeah, I agree big time - it does seem like a homage to a lot of their various sounds. Genesis is taking that "dark art metal progressiveness" style they were going for on Koi like Leathers, Tempest, Rosemary and Goon Squad but pulling it off a lot more seamlessly. It's djent-y, but with a much groovier riff than some of the repetitive ones Stef has offered up on the last three albums IMO.

There's also some Hexagram in there with Frank's constant synth while Chino makes some lyrical callbacks to it. And then there's the Royal similarities at the end. Royal was easily my favorite Sergio-era song until Genesis, so I'm kind of predestined to love it.

And again, I'm talking about what I heard one time on Mixlr and never again until tonight. ;)

nicklav

Groove is the right word. Can't help but bounce along with that guitar and drum line.

Far away

Quote from: nicklav on Sep 17, 2020, 07:57 PM
That's the way this band has always been with me. I remember really doubting S/T when it first came out and now it's a masterpiece in my eyes. First impressions rarely end up dictating how I feel about their music (the only notable exception being Gore...).

Usually its the same for me. Only exception was when I first heard Adrenaline/ATF. I got instantly hooked!
About Genesis, just heard it. This might be a very unpopular opinion: if Chino decides to stop screaming, I'm fine with it (I think). Thats all I'm going to say. Song is fine, not a jaw dropping tune by any means though, imho.

nicklav

I wonder if chino is playing guitar on this song at all. That's two singles with just Stef if so. Pretty unusual!

nicklav

Quote from: Far away on Sep 17, 2020, 08:29 PM
That's the way this band has always been with me. I remember really doubting S/T when it first came out and now it's a masterpiece in my eyes. First impressions rarely end up dictating how I feel about their music (the only notable exception being Gore...).

Usually its the same for me. Only exception was when I first heard Adrenaline/ATF. I got instantly hooked!
About Genesis, just heard it. This might be a very unpopular opinion: if Chino decides to stop screaming, I'm fine with it (I think). Thats all I'm going to say. Song is fine, not a jaw dropping tune by any means though, imho.

Totally with you about the screaming. I think he could embrace his singing/crooning technique and have that play nicely with these heavy riffs. I mean he's done it before on song like Lovers and that's some of the best shit.

Inkblades

Quote from: nicklav on Sep 17, 2020, 08:30 PM
I wonder if chino is playing guitar on this song at all. That's two singles with just Stef if so. Pretty unusual!

He's holding a guitar in the video teaser. Definitely him on the intro, the bridge and then the very end.

Speaking of the bridge, none of you have even mentioned the bridge yet! What do you think? I think it's fucking epic, personally.

E-Money

Quote from: nicklav on Sep 17, 2020, 08:24 PM
Groove is the right word. Can't help but bounce along with that guitar and drum line.

Exactly it's groovy as hell. I'm still hearing a much more live element to the music than in the past. And I love that. It sounds like they just got in a room and Terry recorded them.

Goddamn I can't wait to hear spell of mathematics.

Far away

Quote from: nicklav on Sep 17, 2020, 08:31 PM
Quote from: Far away on Sep 17, 2020, 08:29 PM

Totally with you about the screaming. I think he could embrace his singing/crooning technique and have that play nicely with these heavy riffs. I mean he's done it before on song like Lovers and that's some of the best shit.

exactly my point. its not like they NEED him to scream his eyes out to drop the hammer. They have plenty of it without his voice. Lovers is an excellent example, btw!

thatdeftkid

I'm expecting the FATTEST C# to start Ceremony

DEF_RICHIE

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 17, 2020, 08:34 PM
Quote from: nicklav on Sep 17, 2020, 08:30 PM

He's holding a guitar in the video teaser. Definitely him on the intro, the bridge and then the very end.

Is he really? I coulda swore that was Sergio just from looking at the silhouette in the beginning of the teaser. All I could really see is just Chino wrapping the mic up ready to tear shit up  8)