Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkblades

Interestingly, one of the articles about the album made it sound like This Link Is Dead is about expectations, which could specifically tie into fan expectations. Very curious about that one.

E-Money

Quote from: LG95 on Sep 17, 2020, 09:33 PM
Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 17, 2020, 09:30 PM
Anyway, they certainly cleared the bar for me with this song. I'm prone to say this one is an all-time great.
At this stage I prefer the title track but this is great too.

All my favourite stuff from that mixlr set hasn't come out yet.

This gets me really excited bro!!! If genesis is mixed this well just imagine what mathematics will sound like! 😎

LG95

Quote from: nicklav on Sep 17, 2020, 09:37 PM
Anyway, they certainly cleared the bar for me with this song. I'm prone to say this one is an all-time great.

This is good to know haha.
It could be good to know dude. Or it could be that you hate my favourite stuff haha.
I could float here forever

Draken

Quote from: buflen on Sep 17, 2020, 09:30 PM
Quote from: Draken on Sep 17, 2020, 09:26 PM
Quote from: buflen on Sep 17, 2020, 09:24 PM
Quote from: Draken on Sep 17, 2020, 09:20 PM

Absolutely the same for me, WP I was like "wth, Back To School? and then again on the last track too??"
Well, BTS was not on the official release so I feel this is a moot point.

Well it was the copy I obtained, so to me it was the official release. I didn't have a computer or smart phone to look it up.
I really think adding BTS made WP much worse. Feiticeira is a great opener, BTS ruins Pink Maggit. Fuck the label for forcing this and have 3 different version of the album. I always skip BTS when I listen to WP on spotify. Not a bad song, but feels like a separate thing.

I think the band would agree with you on that one.

I remember someone was like "omfg you gotta listen to new Deftones!" and I was like "aight" put the cd in and listened to BTS.... "wtf, why did you recommend this?" BTS is okay though, I agree it's a separate thing. The album is much better in it's original form but I gotta say though, for the sake of collecting it's kind of cool to have different versions. I loved hearing The Boys Republic.

LG95

Quote from: E-Money on Sep 17, 2020, 09:39 PM

This gets me really excited bro!!! If genesis is mixed this well just imagine what mathematics will sound like! 😎
Can't wait to hear that song in all its glory.

nicklav

Quote from: LG95 on Sep 17, 2020, 09:40 PM

It could be good to know dude. Or it could be that you hate my favourite stuff haha.

Based on what I've seen from you it's a good thing.

Far away

Quote from: buflen on Sep 17, 2020, 09:18 PM
I feel the big issue with a lot of fans and they make up in their mind what they want the band to sound like, and instead of judging the songs by their own merit, they compare it with this "idea", which is probably something not very original. Not saying this is the case here.
Yup, and I'm guilty of this for sure. But here's the thing: they are such a great band that it's almost impossible to not always expect great things from them. They set the bar very high for themselves very early in their career, which is maybe unfair to them, but we're only human.

This, a 1000% this. I really tried to avoid a second song. 2 out of 10 seems little to nothing, but its too much for me. But THEN, I decided to hear that fucking 24 seconds teaser... when I realized, I was listening to the whole thing. Talk about lack of self control. (kinda of impossible to me, when it comes to Deftones)

E-Money

Any album reviews where they actually talk about each track? I remember a few that came out before Gore... I remember they compared Rubicon to a Failure track and it got me really excited...

And I remember some for KNY too

Inkblades

I've probably made my gushing over Genesis really overly-obvious at this point so you know which one I prefer, but I do like Ohms too - and where we can certainly agree is there's more greatness to come.

Inkblades

Quote from: E-Money on Sep 17, 2020, 09:41 PM
Any album reviews where they actually talk about each track? I remember a few that came out before Gore... I remember they compared Rubicon to a Failure track and it got me really excited...

And I remember some for KNY too

I'm sure the reviews will come in a flood next week. I was thinking about doing a write-up on every track I heard during the Mixlr stream but that's maybe not the best idea.

Draken

Quote from: Hidalgo on Sep 17, 2020, 09:36 PM

Absolutely the same for me, WP I was like "wth, Back To School? and then again on the last track too??"

Well it was the copy I obtained, so to me it was the official release. I didn't have a computer or smart phone to look it up.
I really think adding BTS made WP much worse. Feiticeira is a great opener, BTS ruins Pink Maggit. Fuck the label for forcing this and have 3 different version of the album. I always skip BTS when I listen to WP on spotify. Not a bad song, but feels like a separate thing.
i agree. Chino hates that they did it too. BTS is kinda corny along with the super corny video, one of the few deftones tracks i'm not into, along with mein, and good morning beautiful. not bad stuff, i'm just not feelin those. BTS doesn't belong on WP whatsoever! feiticeira whipes the floor with BTS

You... don't.. like Good Morning Beautiful!?? Whaaaaa?! Lol I used to wake up my older brother with that song "You should Waaake Uuupp!" hahahaha he'd get so pissed.  ;D

Matthewtheloser

I am very happy with Genesis! I'm trying to avoid making grand declarative statements about it's quality since it's just too fresh to give a really well-rounded opinion. But I really do love it after spinning it a number of times. Take this with a grain of salt, but this may be my favorite Deftones opener since Hole In The Earth or even Hexagram. Maybe even my favorite heavier Deftones track since Royal. Of course I'll need to hear it in the context of the full album to say for sure. It's filled to the brim with that classic Deftones energy. It's nice to hear a more rhythmic and groove centric song again, something I felt was lacking on Gore. It just has a certain swagger to it, you can really hear a lot of confidence behind the performance. I love Chino's cleans on the song, especially when he sings in his lower register such as the "I finally achieved... approaching a delay" part or in the bridge.

I need time to sit on this for a bit to see how it holds up after the initial excitement. I know one thing for certain though, this song is going to absolutely kill live.

buflen

i agree. Chino hates that they did it too. BTS is kinda corny along with the super corny video, one of the few deftones tracks i'm not into, along with mein, and good morning beautiful. not bad stuff, i'm just not feelin those. BTS doesn't belong on WP whatsoever! feiticeira whipes the floor with BTS
Talking about deftones songs I never cared about. For me it has to be Graphic Nature. Talking about a song with no build up or payoff.

Draken

Quote from: buflen on Sep 17, 2020, 09:53 PM

Talking about deftones songs I never cared about. For me it has to be Graphic Nature. Talking about a song with no build up or payoff.
"woo! How tha FUCK you do iT! [abe's drumming killin' it]

LG95

Quote from: nicklav on Sep 17, 2020, 09:41 PM
Quote from: LG95 on Sep 17, 2020, 09:40 PM

Based on what I've seen from you it's a good thing.
You'll have to tell me your favourite songs when you listen to the album next week. There's a specific song I think you'll especially dig. I could be wrong though.

There's a still a chunk of this record I haven't heard.

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 17, 2020, 09:45 PM

I've probably made my gushing over Genesis really overly-obvious at this point so you know which one I prefer, but I do like Ohms too - and where we can certainly agree is there's more greatness to come.
I think I just love the open feel of Ohms - the major chord, stonery vibe, with that real bounce to it. Feels really refreshing. And the chorus is kick ass.

Draken

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 17, 2020, 09:38 PM
Interestingly, one of the articles about the album made it sound like This Link Is Dead is about expectations, which could specifically tie into fan expectations. Very curious about that one.

Wouldn't it be funny if we get the album and that song is just a reprise, Chino singing "This link is dead, I know you feel the same..."

Shadow46/2

Quote from: buflen on Sep 17, 2020, 05:49 PM
I have not listened to the song, because I decided to wait, but from what I read, I can see myself liking this much better than Pink/Triangle as an opening track. P/T was weak.

I disagree.  I think that's one of Weezer's best.

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

buflen

Quote from: Shadow46/2 on Sep 17, 2020, 10:15 PM
Quote from: buflen on Sep 17, 2020, 05:49 PM
I have not listened to the song, because I decided to wait, but from what I read, I can see myself liking this much better than Pink/Triangle as an opening track. P/T was weak.

I disagree.  I think that's one of Weezer's best.
;D

Draken

To those who have heard the track and don't care for it as much as the others here, do you think it will be a grower for you and what is your opinion of Deftones best album? Just curious.

DenakDW

I used to debate with fans wether a song being good or not. Now i found that funny... and i know everyone has a valid opinion, because well.. its yours... but i couldnt care less if i am enjoying this song and another person is not.  Im blasting the shit out of Genesis. You decide if you like it or not stop trying to convince other people that the song is trash/amazing.
And all the days I've missed you 🍂