"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draken

Quote from: Hidalgo on Sep 17, 2020, 08:59 PM
Quote from: rainnyx4 on Sep 17, 2020, 08:04 PM
Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 17, 2020, 07:57 PM
rainnyx4 is it vinyl collective?

Nah, it's a smaller forum with a very insular community. There's still diversity of opinion considering the band and their songs, but some pretty strong consensus there that conflicts with sentiments I tend to get around here. For example, I'm in agreement with this other forum that S/T was arguably their worst (along with Gore) and KNY was probably their best work since WP. Seems to be a lot more fawning over S/T and criticism of KNY around here by comparison, though pretty much everyone agrees Gore was garbage.
i thought the avg person thought diamond eyes was their best album since WP to this day. no idea for sure what consensus is. but but for me it's probably diamond eyes. seemed like a big comeback from them, and the most radio play, and hype, and old fans coming out of the woodwork again. so much positivity with that record

I'm old school Deftones but I love DE, my favorite Sergio record. I was blown away by DE title track at first listen. But I have to admit though, on first listen with the album I hated it.

Inkblades

I gotta admit I'm a little taken aback by the divergent opinions. This song is like the textbook definition of what a classic Deftones song sounds like to me, but I guess everyone's tastes are different.

buflen

Quote from: Draken on Sep 17, 2020, 09:01 PM
Lol just as I figured, get back here to see the forum buzzing about a new track. Haven't listened to it yet, I think I'll wait for the album to drop. Sounds like your typical Deftones to me though, some fans enjoy the shit out of it while others have their reservations. Anyone else like me still holding out for next week?
I am going to wait a week, I don't want to replay that song over and over, and want the opening track to be a surprise.

imbrie

Quote from: Draken on Sep 17, 2020, 09:01 PM
Lol just as I figured, get back here to see the forum buzzing about a new track. Haven't listened to it yet, I think I'll wait for the album to drop. Sounds like your typical Deftones to me though, some fans enjoy the shit out of it while others have their reservations. Anyone else like me still holding out for next week?

I'm trying to hold out too, man, but I really want to listen.

LG95

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Sep 17, 2020, 09:00 PM
Quote from: LG95 on Sep 17, 2020, 08:57 PM
Some of y'all need to learn to let a song sink in and not on first listen go "I like this bit, don't like that bit, good bridge, love that melody, hate that groove, like that filter etc".

Some of us are incredibly analytical and maybe musicians themselves. It's hard not to excessively scrutinize.
I'm both of those things too though.

People go into music with too many expectations and put too much focus on instinctive reactions. To me, that means they miss out on part of the fun. That's a mindset.

Quote from: Sicario on Sep 17, 2020, 09:07 PM
For some reason I remember Diamond Eyes receiving a fair amount of dislike when it came out and shortly after. I could be wrong though. I'm thinking it was kind of lukewarm when it came out but has since became a more revered album?
No that would be to do with which groups of people you were listening to. Diamond Eyes on the whole was incredibly well received immediately. Maybe the most instantly of any Deftones record. There's a reason it's considered such a huge kickstart in their career. Rightly so.
I could float here forever

Far away

I must admit tho, the screaming without the reverb or w/e that effect is, sound WAY better than I expected (based on his screaming as of late)!

mrpelon94

holy shit, Genesis is the One ....OMG that ending !!!!!!!

buflen

I feel the big issue with a lot of fans and they make up in their mind what they want the band to sound like, and instead of judging the songs by their own merit, they compare it with this "idea", which is probably something not very original. Not saying this is the case here.

Draken

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 17, 2020, 07:53 PM
In retrospect, this may come as a surprise, but I don't remember one single Deftones song that actually "wow-ed" me. This band has always been more of a thing where I got intrigued and the music grew a lot on me over time and additional listens. I didn't like White Pony when I first listened to it. I didn't even understand the point of Pink Maggit, especially since I first listened to the edition with Back To School, I was like "Wait, I've heard that before". Now Pink Maggit is my favorite piece of music.

Absolutely the same for me, WP I was like "wth, Back To School? and then again on the last track too??" That album took time to grow on me but when it did holy shit. Then again with S/T, didn't care for it's raw energy at first, I was expecting the refined polish of WP. But then it grew on me and became my favorite album.

That's basically the trend for every Tones record with me. On first listen it's like "huh?" then over time it just creeps in..

buflen

Quote from: Draken on Sep 17, 2020, 09:20 PM

Absolutely the same for me, WP I was like "wth, Back To School? and then again on the last track too??"
Well, BTS was not on the official release so I feel this is a moot point.

Hidalgo

Quote from: LG95 on Sep 17, 2020, 09:14 PM
Quote from: rainnyx4 on Sep 17, 2020, 09:00 PM
Quote from: LG95 on Sep 17, 2020, 08:57 PM
Some of y'all need to learn to let a song sink in and not on first listen go "I like this bit, don't like that bit, good bridge, love that melody, hate that groove, like that filter etc".

Some of us are incredibly analytical and maybe musicians themselves. It's hard not to excessively scrutinize.
I'm both of those things too though.

People go into music with too many expectations and put too much focus on instinctive reactions. To me, that means they miss out on part of the fun. That's a mindset.

Quote from: Sicario on Sep 17, 2020, 09:07 PM
For some reason I remember Diamond Eyes receiving a fair amount of dislike when it came out and shortly after. I could be wrong though. I'm thinking it was kind of lukewarm when it came out but has since became a more revered album?
No that would be to do with which groups of people you were listening to. Diamond Eyes on the whole was incredibly well received immediately. Maybe the most instantly of any Deftones record. There's a reason it's considered such a huge kickstart in their career. Rightly so.
i'm kinda suprised diamond eyes didn't go Gold, it was very popular. i think it will someday, but it will take over 10 more years with how slow music sells. it very well may be in the 400,000 range though. just selling that last 100k could take 10-15 years

Draken

Quote from: buflen on Sep 17, 2020, 09:24 PM

Absolutely the same for me, WP I was like "wth, Back To School? and then again on the last track too??"

Well it was the copy I obtained, so to me it was the official release. I didn't have a computer or smart phone to look it up.

Gaz

buflen

Quote from: Draken on Sep 17, 2020, 09:26 PM

Well it was the copy I obtained, so to me it was the official release. I didn't have a computer or smart phone to look it up.
I really think adding BTS made WP much worse. Feiticeira is a great opener, BTS ruins Pink Maggit. Fuck the label for forcing this and have 3 different version of the album. I always skip BTS when I listen to WP on spotify. Not a bad song, but feels like a separate thing.

Hidalgo

Quote from: buflen on Sep 17, 2020, 08:46 PM
I heard a lot of complaints on chino's screaming. Is it like "Rapture" bad?
man i freakin love rapture. it's interesting to hear other opinions though. a lot of deftones fans tend to hate it

Inkblades

Quote from: buflen on Sep 17, 2020, 09:18 PM
I feel the big issue with a lot of fans and they make up in their mind what they want the band to sound like, and instead of judging the songs by their own merit, they compare it with this "idea", which is probably something not very original. Not saying this is the case here.

Yup, and I'm guilty of this for sure. But here's the thing: they are such a great band that it's almost impossible to not always expect great things from them. They set the bar very high for themselves very early in their career, which is maybe unfair to them, but we're only human.

Anyway, they certainly cleared the bar for me with this song. I'm prone to say this one is an all-time great.

buflen

Quote from: Hidalgo on Sep 17, 2020, 09:30 PM
Quote from: buflen on Sep 17, 2020, 08:46 PM
I heard a lot of complaints on chino's screaming. Is it like "Rapture" bad?
man i freakin love rapture. it's interesting to hear other opinions though. a lot of deftones fans tend to hate it
The song is good, but it could have been much better if they, let's say, worked on chino's vocal a bit.

LG95

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 17, 2020, 09:30 PM
Anyway, they certainly cleared the bar for me with this song. I'm prone to say this one is an all-time great.
At this stage I prefer the title track but this is great too.

All my favourite stuff from that mixlr set hasn't come out yet.
I could float here forever

Hidalgo

Quote from: buflen on Sep 17, 2020, 09:30 PM
Quote from: Draken on Sep 17, 2020, 09:26 PM

I really think adding BTS made WP much worse. Feiticeira is a great opener, BTS ruins Pink Maggit. Fuck the label for forcing this and have 3 different version of the album. I always skip BTS when I listen to WP on spotify. Not a bad song, but feels like a separate thing.
i agree. Chino hates that they did it too. BTS is kinda corny along with the super corny video, one of the few deftones tracks i'm not into, along with mein, and good morning beautiful. not bad stuff, i'm just not feelin those. BTS doesn't belong on WP whatsoever! feiticeira whipes the floor with BTS

nicklav

Quote from: LG95 on Sep 17, 2020, 09:33 PM
Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 17, 2020, 09:30 PM
At this stage I prefer the title track but this is great too.

All my favourite stuff from that mixlr set hasn't come out yet.

This is good to know haha.