Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Formant

Quote from: imbrie on Sep 17, 2020, 04:35 PM
Glad to read the mostly positive takes on Genesis. I'm holding out from listening to it until the album drops as I want it all to be fresh on first listen.

Is consensus that it's a good opening track?

In my perspective, that's hard to say without hearing the whole record. Same for judging Ohms as a closer. Although I have to say Ohms is growing on me, and it's starting to have a layer of finality to it that the 4 years of album hype originally overpowered-- perhaps I was too excited for a banger that STARTED momentum rather than ENDED the journey. But I guess that brings into question the choice of it being a first single.

I'm trying to go into it blank by next Friday, though! Time will tell how this all sounds as a unit.

rainnyx4

Lots of diversity of opinion on the track, which I guess is not unexpected. Another music board I post on is shitting on the track kind of hard. Tend to trust their opinion more than this board ironically. Haven't listened to the track (holding off after already spoiling Ohms) but this has me disconcerted.

buflen

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 17, 2020, 04:14 PM
Quote from: Sicario on Sep 17, 2020, 03:53 PM
Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 17, 2020, 03:42 PM
Not impressed with this one tbh

Song may not be your cup o' tea. But how do you feel about the production/audio?

My expectations may be on the wrong side.

The production is immense. I don't think it's overproduced, Deftones just probably got cleaner over time.

I liked how Terry mentioned that Chi's bass was basically the "floor" for all the other sounds and Sergio's is a very different thing. I guess in the back of my head I'm naively hoping that Sergio starts playing with his fingers on a 5-string "tradional" bass, and that's where I'm wrong.

The song is solid, there's no denying that. And congrats to Deftones for the banger, it's going to be another great release, I'm happy for them.

I guess I'm a little underwhelmed with the guitar work, mostly on the verses. I don't mind that Stef still resorts to powerchords but this 0-1-0-2-like move got old for me. The chorus of Lotion is perfect when it comes to that, it had the necessary twist while still being very simple. This sounds very generic imo.

The break is pretty cool, "salsa" like someone said. It reminds me a lot of when I saw At The Drive-In live. Between that and the CKY comparisons on the riff of Ohms, I'd say someone's been on a punk/post-hardcore binge.  ;D

Sorry if I sound like a total snob, this is just my opinion.
This sound like a case of having very personal and high expectations. I guess that's fine.
We should feel lucky that deftones hasn't become a horrible band like most 90's rock band still playing right now.
Imagine Deftones coming out with a "One More Light" type of album.

ghostofemilydickinson

Quote from: Penicks on Sep 17, 2020, 04:31 PM
dunno if overproduced is the right word, i'm just not too impressed by the guitar. doesn't quite hit me in the face with crunch or a wall of sound, it's just there and it sounds fine and loud but it's nothing special, agreeing with ves

You put into words something I couldn't quite describe. That gorgeous intro set the stage for a punch in the gut wall of guitar to come in and brutalize everything in its path but it just sort of...appeared.

I have been pointing to something like "16 Psyche" by Chelsea Wolfe for how to get that bash your head in grungy, crunchy guitar to take the song over. That would have been killer here.

On my 5th listen now and still irked at the vocal effects. Otherwise, it's a keeper.

nicklav

Guitar sounds absolutely huge for me. Frank is definitely the star on this song.

Vesanic

I don't like that debate. It's true that Linkin Park got rid of everything that made them them, but that was a case of a band going with a sound that they really, really liked. Ever since after Meteora, one can't deny that Linkin Park has been highly experimental, more so than Deftones dare I say. I know one of the most hardcore LP fans and they love One More Light.

On second thought, the verses of Lotion have another case of 0-1 kinda riff so the comparison doesn't really apply.

In retrospect, this may come as a surprise, but I don't remember one single Deftones song that actually "wow-ed" me. This band has always been more of a thing where I got intrigued and the music grew a lot on me over time and additional listens. I didn't like White Pony when I first listened to it. I didn't even understand the point of Pink Maggit, especially since I first listened to the edition with Back To School, I was like "Wait, I've heard that before". Now Pink Maggit is my favorite piece of music.

In fact, one of the songs of Ohms could very well be the first case of me being properly amazed on first listen. Don't quote me on it, I can't remember every single first impression, I'm almost positive though.

buflen

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Sep 17, 2020, 04:44 PM
Lots of diversity of opinion on the track, which I guess is not unexpected. Another music board I post on is shitting on the track kind of hard. Tend to trust their opinion more than this board ironically. Haven't listened to the track (holding off after already spoiling Ohms) but this has me disconcerted.
Making your own opinion is important. Don't let other's influence yours. Everyone is different, some of my least favorite deftones songs are revered by the majority of the fanbase and vice versa.

nicklav

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 17, 2020, 04:53 PM
I don't like that debate. It's true that Linkin Park got rid of everything that made them them, but that was a case of a band going with a sound that they really, really liked. Ever since after Meteora, one can't deny that Linkin Park has been highly experimental, more so than Deftones dare I say. I know one of the most hardcore LP fans and they love One More Light.

On second thought, the verses of Lotion have another case of 0-1 kinda riff so the comparison doesn't really apply.

In retrospect, this may come as a surprise, but I don't remember one single Deftones song that actually "wow-ed" me. This band has always been more of a thing where I got intrigued and the music grew a lot on me over time and additional listens. I didn't like White Pony when I first listened to it. I didn't even understand the point of Pink Maggit, especially since I first listened to the edition with Back To School, I was like "Wait, I've heard that before". Now Pink Maggit is my favorite piece of music.

In fact, one of the songs of Ohms could very well be the case of me being properly amazed on first listen. Don't quote me on it, I can't remember every single first impression, I'm almost positive though.

That's the way this band has always been with me. I remember really doubting S/T when it first came out and now it's a masterpiece in my eyes. First impressions rarely end up dictating how I feel about their music (the only notable exception being Gore...).

Vesanic

rainnyx4 is it vinyl collective?

Roidragee

The only thing I don't like is when there's vocal effects  when chino says "Rebirth" and "balance" just sounds out of place on that part but other than that its a great opener.

Vanby

The chorus is the only thing I'm not a fan of, it's just, I dunno, dissonant and sounds slightly off to me.

Rest of the track is fucking great though, I also loved Ohms.

Looking forward to a week from now!

LG95

Experimental, if you count copying sounds that were big three or four years earlier 'experimental'.
I could float here forever

Vesanic

Quote from: nicklav on Sep 17, 2020, 04:57 PM

In fact, one of the songs of Ohms could very well be the case of me being properly amazed on first listen. Don't quote me on it, I can't remember every single first impression, I'm almost positive though.

That's the way this band has always been with me. I remember really doubting S/T when it first came out and now it's a masterpiece in my eyes. First impressions rarely end up dictating how I feel about their music (the only notable exception being Gore...).

Ditto. The S/T bored me to death on first listen, truthfully. I thought every song sounded like the previous one. Now I think Hexagram is the best riff Stef's ever come up with.

Vesanic

Quote from: LG95 on Sep 17, 2020, 04:57 PM
Experimental, if you count copying sounds that were big three or four years earlier 'experimental'.

*laughs in Diamond Eyes*

Experimental in the sense they made something they hadn't done before. Expecting artists to be groundbreaking in this day and age is silly imo.

Inkblades

The same thing happened to me with Radiohead's Kid A. The first time I listened to it, I was like "What the fuck is this bullshit?"...lol. I was obviously wrong because it's one of the greatest albums ever made.

buflen

Quote from: Vanby on Sep 17, 2020, 04:57 PM
The chorus is the only thing I'm not a fan of, it's just, I dunno, dissonant and sounds slightly off to me.
A dissonant chino chorus? Color me shocked.

LG95

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 17, 2020, 04:59 PM
Quote from: LG95 on Sep 17, 2020, 04:57 PM

*laughs in Diamond Eyes*

Experimental in the sense they made something they hadn't done before. Expecting artists to be groundbreaking in this day and age is silly imo.
Chasm of difference between 'groundbreaking' and just ripping off a load of stuff that was big recently.
I could float here forever

Vesanic

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 17, 2020, 04:59 PM

The same thing happened to me with Radiohead's Kid A. The first time I listened to it, I was like "What the fuck is this bullshit?"...lol. I was obviously wrong because it's one of the greatest albums ever made.

I may have been a little more directly hooked on Adrenaline. Terry or Chino went on record to say it was basically recorded live, and that's what I loved about it and made me like it a lot quicker, despite the "teenage angst" debate over it and how most of us have matured into different people. I'd jam Adrenaline any day. That groove is untouchable.

It was already different with Around the Fur, although that's where I was the most intrigued, like "Hey... this sounds super interesting". I remember blasting the record through my house over and over and thinking I was listening to the most legendary underground rock concert ever. I love Around the Fur. I still think it's their best album.

buflen

I think the most wowed i've been with a deftones song on first listen is "Cherry Wave" and "Beauty School".
I still like them but they got old since. The songs that stays relevant to me the longest are the one that confuses me at first.

Inkblades

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 17, 2020, 04:57 PM
rainnyx4 is it vinyl collective?

Doesn't seem to be because the only comment on Genesis is a user saying it's awesome. sputnikmusic seems to be head over heels for it, so not them either. chorus.fm isn't shitting on it, so I'm stumped.