Previous topic - Next topic

imbrie

Quote from: thatdeftkid on Sep 17, 2020, 08:39 PM
I'm expecting the FATTEST C# to start Ceremony

I think you're done.

ANattyRat

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 17, 2020, 08:34 PM
Quote from: nicklav on Sep 17, 2020, 08:30 PM
I wonder if chino is playing guitar on this song at all. That's two singles with just Stef if so. Pretty unusual!

He's holding a guitar in the video teaser. Definitely him on the intro, the bridge and then the very end.

Speaking of the bridge, none of you have even mentioned the bridge yet! What do you think? I think it's fucking epic, personally.

I'd mention it if I knew what part the bridge is lol (look, I'm not good with music words, I just like what I like).

buflen

I heard a lot of complaints on chino's screaming. Is it like "Rapture" bad?

Vesanic

Vesanic

Quote from: buflen on Sep 17, 2020, 08:46 PM

lol

sharinglungs

I wonder if chino is playing guitar on this song at all. That's two singles with just Stef if so. Pretty unusual!

He's holding a guitar in the video teaser. Definitely him on the intro, the bridge and then the very end.

Speaking of the bridge, none of you have even mentioned the bridge yet! What do you think? I think it's fucking epic, personally.

That's definitely Sergio in the teaser video.

Just the stance and the hand position on that bass guitar.

Quote from: thatdeftkid on Sep 17, 2020, 08:39 PM
I'm expecting the FATTEST C# to start Ceremony

LoL.. No.

Where are you hearing that from? lol... it's definitely not. This is top form Chino.

Hidalgo

i'll say i like Genesis a lot. it kinda reminds me of combat. but out of the 2 so far Ohms is better in my opinion, cause Ohms has some of the best creative riffs Stephen has made the whole song through(basically a 6 string guitar song, and my fav stuff from him is the first 3 albums and like linus, all 6 string), and the ohms  video makes it even better. Ohms is really good stuff. Genesis has your typical dun dun dun Stef riffs, nothing creative on his part here (but he's not Van Halen, or Dave Mustaine or anything, we know what to expect from him), but it gets it done and is a cool tune

Roidragee

Its mostly the reverb on the parts where he sings "Rebirth" and "balance" where its throwing some people off, so far im seeing mostly good things about his screaming.

stu_101

Hell no. They're great. I don't understand the anti-scream vibes on here. Solid track IMO.

Yossarian

Instant classic among Deftones bridges. Love its vibe.
"Something in our music that has a little provocative kind of vibe to it. And I feel like that exists in our music for some reason. I don't know where it comes from."

Lugosi_Jaws

I think some of you all smoke bad Strains. Genesis is great on some blueberry kush. Just saying.

LG95

Some of y'all need to learn to let a song sink in and not on first listen go "I like this bit, don't like that bit, good bridge, love that melody, hate that groove, like that filter etc".
I could float here forever

Inkblades

Quote from: ANattyRat on Sep 17, 2020, 08:42 PM

I'd mention it if I knew what part the bridge is lol (look, I'm not good with music words, I just like what I like).

The bridge is the part after the verses and choruses. It's the part where Chinos sings "we're everywhere"...

Screaming on this is much better than his screaming on SNW and Gore. It's very impressive he can still do it this well in his late 40's.

Hidalgo

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Sep 17, 2020, 08:04 PM
Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 17, 2020, 07:57 PM
rainnyx4 is it vinyl collective?

Nah, it's a smaller forum with a very insular community. There's still diversity of opinion considering the band and their songs, but some pretty strong consensus there that conflicts with sentiments I tend to get around here. For example, I'm in agreement with this other forum that S/T was arguably their worst (along with Gore) and KNY was probably their best work since WP. Seems to be a lot more fawning over S/T and criticism of KNY around here by comparison, though pretty much everyone agrees Gore was garbage.
i thought the avg person thought diamond eyes was their best album since WP to this day. no idea for sure what the consensus is. but but for me it's probably diamond eyes. seemed like a big comeback from them, and the most radio play, and hype, and old fans coming out of the woodwork again. so much positivity with that record

rainnyx4

Quote from: LG95 on Sep 17, 2020, 08:57 PM
Some of y'all need to learn to let a song sink in and not on first listen go "I like this bit, don't like that bit, good bridge, love that melody, hate that groove, like that filter etc".

Some of us are incredibly analytical and maybe musicians themselves. It's hard not to excessively scrutinize. Especially when you love this band so much and have certain expectations or desires about directions you wish the band would go. I got really annoyed with this band when they rehash old songs/riffs/sounds for new stuff or write songs that sound unfinished (that's my main criticism of S/T and Gore, though with Gore I don't think anything could've saved it with how poorly it was recorded).

Draken

Lol just as I figured, get back here to see the forum buzzing about a new track. Haven't listened to it yet, I think I'll wait for the album to drop. Sounds like your typical Deftones to me though, some fans enjoy the shit out of it while others have their reservations. Anyone else like me still holding out for next week?

rainnyx4

Quote from: Hidalgo on Sep 17, 2020, 08:59 PM

Nah, it's a smaller forum with a very insular community. There's still diversity of opinion considering the band and their songs, but some pretty strong consensus there that conflicts with sentiments I tend to get around here. For example, I'm in agreement with this other forum that S/T was arguably their worst (along with Gore) and KNY was probably their best work since WP. Seems to be a lot more fawning over S/T and criticism of KNY around here by comparison, though pretty much everyone agrees Gore was garbage.
i thought the avg person thought diamond eyes was their best album since WP to this day. no idea for sure what consensus is. but but for me it's probably diamond eyes. seemed like a big comeback from them, and the most radio play, and hype, and old fans coming out of the woodwork again. so much positivity with that record

I have no idea what the "average person" thinks in reference to what Deftones best album is. The other forum I'm on is music centered, featuring lots of musicians and avid Deftones fans. Consensus was there that KNY was their best since WP (though DE got a lot of love too) and S/T and Gore are their worst. I agree.

Inkblades

i thought the avg person thought diamond eyes was their best album since WP to this day. no idea for sure what consensus is. but but for me it's probably diamond eyes. seemed like a big comeback from them, and the most radio play, and hype, and old fans coming out of the woodwork again. so much positivity with that record

DE is definitely their most overall praised after WP. There's something about DE that is very accessible, especially to people who are not that familiar with the band's catalogue. My personal opinion on DE is I think the singles are hit-or-miss but I pretty much love most of the deep cuts.

LG95

That is the general consensus. Individual forums don't reflect much apart from the taste of a very select group of people. Doesn't mean any opinion is right or wrong, better or worse.
I could float here forever

Sicario

For some reason I remember Diamond Eyes receiving a fair amount of dislike when it came out and shortly after. I could be wrong though. I'm thinking it was kind of lukewarm when it came out but has since became a more revered album?
Men talk of killing time while time quietly kills them.