Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

976-EVIL

So Yeah! After 20 listens, this Track is pure holistic DEFTONES! The vibe of S/T the rage and anger. With a Rosemary Groove?
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

976-EVIL

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 18, 2020, 05:22 AM
Does anyone feel like Genesis is weirdly motivational? When Chino screams "What will you do with your time?", it makes me want to focus on shit I need to get done.

YES!
I feel the positive nature of the Record so far as well!

Draken

Does anyone feel like Genesis is weirdly motivational? When Chino screams "What will you do with your time?", it makes me want to focus on shit I need to get done.

lol yea it kinda does inspire me to get shit done. I feel ya on that

had to look up the lyrics. I will say the song is quite energizing. Like, with the theme of "climbing out of the ashes" and rebirth, it's sort of inspiring. I can't think of the right word... it makes me want to go fight someone at the same time then it switches to this whole other feeling.

Far away

I wish that shit would work for me. Too bad I'm a helpless slob. Idk how I get shit done, tbh... years and years of home office might help do that to you, I guess.

Draken

Listened to this track a few more times since the premiere and my gawd does it have swagger. It's a fuckin banger alright.

plagasx

We're in the home stretch now guys! That's it, in 7 days we'll have a new Deftones album.

zeromindset

I've enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts on the song so far. For me, there were some things vocally that bother me. But overall, there are some cool vibes here...

The BALANCE... REBORN... things in the verses are egregiously loud imo. (someone mentioned this being due to the delay being mono?) And the lower "harmony" vox in the choruses are up too loud I think as well.

I will say though that Terry Date is a master of getting the most out of Chino's screaming ability. He hasn't really been any good at screaming since the early 2000s, but these are mixed in a way that just works well for the song...

It'd be rad if Ohms and Genesis are two of the weaker tracks on the record, but we'll see. At least we're already off to a better start than Gore...

976-EVIL

Once again, just because I can.

The Groove and the Message is on Point!
Deftones have way of Ownership that most of us don't understand.
Shit, I forgot who I'm talking to...sorry...

nineteen

Love Genesis. It's like Deftones becoming even more Deftones to me 😄

976-EVIL

Okay, Obviously I have an addiction.

Reject! Balance. Reborn!!!

Inkblades

After further listening, I'm hearing the weird vocal effect on "Can you taste your life?" now. Kinda reminds me of the underwater-sounding effect on his voice on MX. An intentional callback? It's less noticeable in the video version.

I think there's callbacks to a lot of their old stuff. "We're miles beyond the sound" feels like a twist on Hexagram's "If you keep listening, you can hear it for miles".

nineteen

They also sampled a bee for the synth so it's not just seagulls and dolphins on this album.

Fuzzheadup

Absolutely!! Even the chorus - 'we're turning time inside out'. Just a great line and really inspiring.

Honestly I can't fault the song much at all, love it as an opening track even. Like Ohms, I found that Chino is a little bit more reserved and stepping back on vocal patterns to let the music breathe.

That was one thing I noticed on Gore, so the new stuff seems more relaxed for everyone.

Also, go Frank!! 🤘🏻

Visionz

Will u all get shit done now?   :o

Fuzzheadup

Anyone notice the vocal harmonies in the chorus too? Can't think of many times they've EVER done that.

trolles

Hey all, my simple ratings for this song:

Vocals: Like all of them but in the chorus, as others have mentioned, there is something off that keeps distracting me. 7/10
Lyrics: Love them, great for the time we are living right now, motivational and even political. 8/10
Music: Great intro, sets the mood nicely, love how Steph's guitar sounds, riffs are great, solid and not over the top. Love the pace change after "I will show you the way", gives variety and freshness imo. Also, nice to hear more of Frank's textures than in Ohms. 9/10

Great song, great opener, solid 8/10 for me with room for improvement.

Eager to listen the full thing!

secretbandinsider

Quote from: Fuzzheadup on Sep 18, 2020, 09:48 AM
Anyone notice the vocal harmonies in the chorus too? Can't think of many times they've EVER done that.

Seriously how can could anyone not notice them..

Hidalgo

Quote from: mono on Sep 18, 2020, 04:20 AM
The video is meh, maybe I've just expected more.
The song is good, it will work in a show for sure. Also loved that Stef returned to the analog setup, the guitars  sound amazing that way
yes, the video is pretty weak. i expected it to be way better after the amazing Ohms video

Yossarian

Quote from: Hidalgo on Sep 18, 2020, 11:50 AM
Quote from: mono on Sep 18, 2020, 04:20 AM
The video is meh, maybe I've just expected more.
The song is good, it will work in a show for sure. Also loved that Stef returned to the analog setup, the guitars  sound amazing that way
yes, the video is pretty weak. i expected it to be way better after the amazing Ohms video

Just to present opposite view... Its kinda cool that video looks almost as if it was just recording of guys playing this tune live in rehearsals room. It fits cause song itself got very 'live' vibe.
"Something in our music that has a little provocative kind of vibe to it. And I feel like that exists in our music for some reason. I don't know where it comes from."

Hidalgo

Quote from: secretbandinsider on Sep 18, 2020, 10:38 AM
Quote from: Fuzzheadup on Sep 18, 2020, 09:48 AM
Anyone notice the vocal harmonies in the chorus too? Can’t think of many times they’ve EVER done that.

Seriously how can could anyone not notice them..
what's different about it? i don't understand vocal harmonies and guitar tunings very much. none musician here (besides dabbling on guitar)