Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkblades

I didn't download the New Zealand link and I'm glad I waited it out because the visual added a nice component for me - another good video. Not as visually stunning or as expensive looking as Ohms obviously, but I liked the throwback early 90's vibe to it. More of an underground feel like the Hexagram video, which is appropriate for the song IMO.

As for Genesis itself: this song just completely blows me away. Chino's voice sounds better than it has in years (vocal effects don't bother me at all), Stef is bringing a lot of nice variety and groove in his riffs (much less repetitive than some of his DE/Koi/Gore riffs, for sure), Abe is on point as always and Frank is bringing beautiful textures.

It's really just a perfect opener and goes hard as fuck.

Sal_Ameigh

Quote from: sharinglungs on Sep 17, 2020, 10:06 PM
Link to the premiere in 6 hours time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbp0bET06wc

Moody.

Just 1 listen so far. Liked this much better. Had sort of an early/mid 80's Goth-y vibe yet still sounded contemporary. Heard some Jane's Addiction influence. Yet totally deftones because of Chino's vocals. Steph's guitar was heavy but not "Metally" per se.

I'll replay and look forward to hearing the rest of the album. Glad I liked this track!

thatdeftkid

Chino's voice during the Balance Balance Balance & Rebirth Rebirth Rebirth does the coolest thing when you listen with headphones. Terry Date really seemed to want to paint a portrait with his production skills with this one.

976-EVIL

Love the track, but as a Tones Fan how can you not?!
This Record shows Great Promise!
We have both ends of the Album, the 8 Songs in the middle are eagerly anticipated. 
Reject, Balance, Rebirth !!!
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

Inkblades

Also, this is the most they've sounded like S/T since...well, since S/T. That pissed-off darkness is back. Makes sense because the gawd Terry Date is back.

Draken

Well I caved and watched the video premiere... I'm getting some serious Ohms vibes

Vesanic

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 18, 2020, 04:31 AM
Also, this is the most they've sounded like S/T since...well, since S/T. That pissed-off darkness is back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNbkSgEaDZ4

Inkblades

SMLiberator

anyone else got Eros vibes? no? ok then imma head out
i'm confused??

976-EVIL

First things last Ink, Capt Spaulding Rules!

After blessedly hearing Genius I think it feels like Rosemary got mounted by a Goon Squad on Cherry Waves. Again the groove is infectious!
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

Inkblades

Right after Chino sing-screams that "We're miles away from the SOUND!" part, Stef adds a couple extra notes to the verse riff that is just fucking killer.

Far away

Im here hoping in a few weeks (maybe days, who knows), someone will come up with this song and Franks stuff on steroids, like those versions of Hexagram, WGTB and Beware people shared in here years back! I think it was you who worked on some of them, right mr. V? Im not sure though.

Draken

Quote from: SMLiberator on Sep 18, 2020, 04:46 AM
anyone else got Eros vibes? no? ok then imma head out

no but it sounds like adrenaline, ATF, WP, S/T, SNW, DE, KNY, Gore....

lungdamage

Quote from: geraavl08 on Sep 18, 2020, 04:08 AM
He's back on the 8 string?

Yeah he is playing an 8 string in this video.

pannch

Wow, Genesis, that's some dark shit man. Have never heard anything from them like this bfore. Really enjoying this so far

Vanby

What is this video for it though lol

The Ohms video was so incredibly sick I had my hopes up but this feels very amateur.

Track keeps growing on me though, but I still like Ohms better so far.

Inkblades

Quote from: Vanby on Sep 18, 2020, 05:07 AM
What is this video for it though lol

The Ohms video was so incredibly sick I had my hopes up but this feels very amateur.

Track keeps growing on me though, but I still like Ohms better so far.

Lol they spent their whole budget on the Ohms video. But to be fair, they are in different states and we're in the middle of a pandemic. It's a performance video more than a show-off vid and I think it gets the job done.

I'm still surprised they didn't pick a certain song as the first single, being it's probably the most feel-good song of the bunch. Maybe that will be the third single?

lungdamage

Video was almost getting approx 1k views a minute for an hour.

ChubbyChino

Quote from: Sleeping_Giant on Sep 17, 2020, 10:16 PM
Quote from: ChubbyChino on Sep 17, 2020, 09:06 PMThere are other songs with more beautiful choruses on this album.

Promise me... ;D

God I wish that Ohms will have at least one song that will stuck in my head for years just like Bloody Cape, Digital Bath, Passenger or Pink Maggit. No matter what's happening around me, these songs are always welcome...

I doubt it very much.

Inkblades

Does anyone feel like Genesis is weirdly motivational? When Chino screams "What will you do with your time?", it makes me want to focus on shit I need to get done.