Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzheadup

Quote from: Hidalgo on Sep 18, 2020, 12:19 PM
Quote from: secretbandinsider on Sep 18, 2020, 10:38 AM
Quote from: Fuzzheadup on Sep 18, 2020, 09:48 AM
Anyone notice the vocal harmonies in the chorus too? Can't think of many times they've EVER done that.

Seriously how can could anyone not notice them..
what's different about it? i don't understand vocal harmonies and guitar tunings very much. none musician here (besides dabbling on guitar)

I'm no expert either but if you listen to the chorus you can hear two different melodies sung over eachother - maybe it's more noticeable in this production, but I can't think of many other songs they have that use harmonies like that. Just thought it was interesting!

sharinglungs

Sounds like Sergio singing backup vocals.

Visionz

Quote from: Sal_Ameigh on Sep 18, 2020, 04:26 AM
Quote from: sharinglungs on Sep 17, 2020, 10:06 PM
Link to the premiere in 6 hours time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbp0bET06wc

Moody.

Just 1 listen so far. Liked this much better. Had sort of an early/mid 80's Goth-y vibe yet still sounded contemporary. Heard some Jane's Addiction influence. Yet totally deftones because of Chino's vocals. Steph's guitar was heavy but not "Metally" per se.

I'll replay and look forward to hearing the rest of the album. Glad I liked this track!

Where do u hear Jane's Addiction? ???

Visionz

Now i really can barely hold out. Jane's influenced and almost everyone likes it? Fuuuck

B_S_79

Parts of the vocals on Genesis remind me of the chorus on that Team Sleep song King Diamond.

FatherUppercut

That video was too busy. You could totally tell everyone's parts were filmed separately and just layered on top of each other lol.

Music videos Covid style - no bueno

Digaums

I'm guessing that Genesis is a song about the band's life and career (maybe the entire album).

"I reject ... both sides of what I'm being told" is there anything more Deftones than that?

Some points are interesting too. Talking about balance, rebirth...
"Oh, can you taste your life? Balanced
How will you spend your time? Reborn"

Seems to be clear the duality. Singles listed and launched in opposition order.

Two personas trying to find themselves on Ohms.

The double exposure effect on Genesis music video (everything in only two colours — b&w).

It's a big Lego box. Haha!

buflen

Quote from: Draken on Sep 18, 2020, 04:34 AM
Well I caved and watched the video premiere... I'm getting some serious Ohms vibes
Weak :)

secretbandinsider

Is it really Sergio singing?

Yossarian

Quote from: B_S_79 on Sep 18, 2020, 01:48 PM
Parts of the vocals on Genesis remind me of the chorus on that Team Sleep song King Diamond.

Bridge on Genesis remind me of the guitar wall sound on that Team Sleep song Blvd. Nights.
"Something in our music that has a little provocative kind of vibe to it. And I feel like that exists in our music for some reason. I don't know where it comes from."

rainnyx4

I feel like MOOOOOOORE could have been done with Genesis. Probably the most annoying thing about this band is when they write songs that just miss the mark due to laziness or just bad decisions during the bridge. Was really disappointed when they got to the bridge and they did the predictable "let's just play the chorus riff without the rest of the band" thing and then suddenly it feels like it's going to go somewhere different and exciting...and then just back to the chorus riff again...come on guys! Same thing kind of happens during Ohms when they have the extra riff after the second chorus. Should've played with that a little more and have the song go in a less obvious direction.

I feel like this has been confirmed numerous times, but it seems like Chino has final say over the format of songs. I think he cut up SNW pretty much all by himself and he mentioned that when Steph writes songs they tend to be MUCH longer initially and that he gets them to make them abbreviated in the end. Gotta wonder what the earlier versions of these songs look like.

Overall, decent song, vocals on the chorus are interesting and dig all of the synth. But they feel like they're dangerously close to becoming Tool in the sense that they keep releasing the same album over and over again to less dramatic effect. Song sounds like a less impactful Leathers/Poltergeist/(L)MIRL/Royal.

ANattyRat

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 18, 2020, 08:54 AM
After further listening, I'm hearing the weird vocal effect on "Can you taste your life?" now. Kinda reminds me of the underwater-sounding effect on his voice on MX. An intentional callback? It's less noticeable in the video version.

I think there's callbacks to a lot of their old stuff. "We're miles beyond the sound" feels like a twist on Hexagram's "If you keep listening, you can hear it for miles".

Yeah I love that effect on his voice. I'd love a whole song with the vocals like that because MX is one of my favourite songs ever (hearing them play it live was like a dream come true lol), it fits with that kind of dark, moody vibe too. Lots of callbacks to their previous songs/albums (whether intentional or not).

The video I'm not really a fan of (and I feel like it should've come with a warning for people who suffer from seizures for safety lol), but I don't mind since 99% of the time I'm not watching the video, I'm listening to the audio version. Plus it's understandable with how things are at the moment. I kind of thought it'd be like Ohms but with a different vibe, different images, etc. But it's not a big deal. Ohms is one of my favourite videos from them though, for sure.

LG95

The Ohms video was a pleasant surprise. I never expect good videos from them.
I could float here forever

buflen

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Sep 18, 2020, 02:49 PM
I feel like this has been confirmed numerous times, but it seems like Chino has final say over the format of songs. I think he cut up SNW pretty much all by himself and he mentioned that when Steph writes songs they tend to be MUCH longer initially and that he gets them to make them abbreviated in the end. Gotta wonder what the earlier versions of these songs look like.
he did for SNW, but nothing is confirmed for the other albums. But to be honest, some of the SNW demos seemed to drag on forever.

sharinglungs

Stef pretty much confirmed the other day on a podcast that I'm the end Chino changes things after it's been finished. I don't think he does it for every song, but it was implied that Chino changes things around quite frequently.

buflen

Quote from: sharinglungs on Sep 18, 2020, 03:28 PM
Stef pretty much confirmed the other day on a podcast that I'm the end Chino changes things after it's been finished. I don't think he does it for every song, but it was implied that Chino changes things around quite frequently.
Yeah, it'd make sense for his melody and ideas to fit in the song, but IMO he should build and write that part while making the music.
Or they record more than they need to have room to do some edit (making riffs repeat longer etc)

Jdubzor

Quote from: sharinglungs on Sep 18, 2020, 03:28 PM

I thought Steph was the boss? Maybe he was on break when Chino did that. Cause when youre the boss, you can take a break as long as you want.

Sleeping_Giant

Was it always like this? With WP and ATF too?That's a very strange way to make a song but whatever. It's fine for them so our opinions are irrelevant :D

LG95

Writing the vocals after the music is recorded is unusual but by no means unique. Cocteau Twins, for example, always created the music before Liz Fraser added her vocals. Maynard James Keenan does it like that with all his projects. It's a longer way of doing it and probably frustrating for the rest of your band who are waiting for the song to be finished. But then it also forces the band to write music that already works on its own instrumentally. Then the vocals come in like an additional instrument on top.
I could float here forever

Inkblades