Previous topic - Next topic

laurapalmer

Quote from: Draken on Sep 25, 2020, 02:32 AM
Quote from: laurapalmer on Sep 25, 2020, 02:24 AM
Quote from: Draken on Sep 25, 2020, 02:15 AM
Quote from: laurapalmer on Sep 25, 2020, 02:10 AM
Two more hours

Are you in the "blue balls squad" as well?  ;D

Ugh, I have the album in FLAC just waiting on my computer, but I'm going to hold out until WB sends me my damn digital download at midnight. I'm waiting until my gf gets home from work and the midnight hour brings in my birthday. Woo I'm so excited... (I'm so excited I'm doing Chino "WOOs")

Not fully, but it's getting a midnight start to finish listen for sure.

May have to go for some midnight coffee and cherry pie

Visionz

Two more hours

Ugh, I have the album in FLAC just waiting on my computer, but I'm going to hold out until WB sends me my damn digital download at midnight. I'm waiting until my gf gets home from work and the midnight hour brings in my birthday. Woo I'm so excited... (I'm so excited I'm doing Chino "WOOs")

Happy bday and WOOOOOH! Bday plus GF =? Plus new Deftones? Good at math but as easy as that one is, u gotta figure that one out tourself bud

Inkblades

Quote from: pannch on Sep 25, 2020, 02:37 AM
Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 25, 2020, 02:28 AM
92 on Metacritic, the third highest rated album of 2020:

https://www.metacritic.com/music/ohms/deftones

The sputnikmusic review is well written. Now, I ain't that of a huge fan of WP, but them stating Ohms being better than WP ? Hmmm dunno about that

Yeah, I dunno about it too. I honestly don't know where I'd rank Ohms in their discography, too early to make that call. There's a lot of newer DT fans on there I think, so their newer stuff seems to more praised than a lot of their older stuff (besides Gore). They also really underrate the shit out of S/T.

Speaking of Gore, this NME ranking of all the albums put it over Koi, Andrenaline, SNW and ATF...I respect the troll lol:

https://www.nme.com/features/deftones-every-single-album-ranked-and-rated-2760407

B_S_79

Did anyone who lives in the states receive any sort of update or shipping confirmation on your vinyl bundle? i've received nothing

lungdamage

Don't know if this was posted yet.

https://omny.fm/shows/triple-m-rock-interviews/deftones-talk-new-album-ohms?fbclid=IwAR1Ed-5RwO9XOhIT1vrChDwlRD38PtR2Rt_SLT7ZrvSPY9cbZHlspMm70bo

TSOM was the last song written for the album - in the studio, after abe and sergio were just messing around and chino sneakily said to record them from the other room :)

acidhologram

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 25, 2020, 12:52 AM
[SPOILER ALERT FOR PEOPLE LIVING IN REGIONS WHERE IT'S NOT RELEASED YET]

I didn't really want to review it, kinda feel compelled for some reason.

Keep in mind this is my opinion, fresh off the first listen (which is probably a terrible idea), after I heard the two singles and most of Chino's stream in microphone quality. I also never review music.

Pros:

The band is back in a strong fashion. All of these cuts have something interesting to them, the flow is surprisingly steady and keeps the listener intrigued from start to end. "Ceremony" has one of the catchiest choruses I've heard them do, without falling in a cliche of formulaic composition (to which I see no problem, I just know Deftones care a lot about that). I didn't feel like skipping a single track, I enjoyed them all in a way or another.

"The Spell of Mathematics" still comes to me as the stand out. It is the one song I really, really like from start to end. The second part of the song is the kind of Deftones I wish I could hear more. Ever since songs like "Fist" or "U, U, (etc.)", or the SNW demos, or just about every time I listen to a Deftones instrumental, I have always wanted to see the full potential of this band as a full-on instrumental piece. The bridge of "Genesis", and a couple of moments I couldn't memorise, only reaffirm that wish. The use of the 9-string is really obvious on "The Spell (...)" and makes a lot of sense. The song is majestic!

"This Link is Dead" comes as the angriest song we've heard Deftones do since "Rats!". God damn does it feel good to hear Chino properly SCREAM again even for just a bit, as opposed to shouting in a bunch of saturating filters (sorry Chino, this is just my opinion, and I obviously wouldn't know what it's like to be a vocalist). This is definitely one of the most experimental things they did, the songs go in a variety of influences and styles, probably the biggest distance I've heard them walk through the spectrum.

The chorus of "Headless" had me headnodding big time. The synth solo, as I had already heard on Chino's stream, almost made me cry. They can still create doomy, heartfelt atmospheres while being subtle about it instead out outpouring obvious emotions in your ears. I saw someone drawing a similarity between "Headless" and "Rubicon" and it's no wonder: a specific part of it sounds EXACTLY THE SAME as the couple of seconds before the latter instrumental ending ("oooooh").

The opening riff of "Pompeji" is some of stuff I wish we could hear more. There's just something profoundly Deftones about it. The roll down of the song is very interesting, but that's the stuff I'd loop over and over like an autistic. Would be a beautiful sample.

Vocally, Chino taps more into his oldschool crooning than he did on the post-Chi trinity. That appeals to me because I feel it's just something he's great at. And as stated, some of the screaming performance felt absolutely amazing.

Instrumentally very diverse, very, very well composed, measured. You can tell they were very organised and all of them really into this. As a fan, it's only good things. I'm so happy my favorite band is still making music, and this album will see them riding a beautiful wave, I'm most assured!

Ohms feels like a beautiful, well-planned musical trip through many sonic soundscapes, lots of them are new and absolutely well executed in the case of Deftones.

The title track has become a favorite in the album now hearing it in context. Releasing it and "Genesis" as the singles were awesome moves, as they give you a sense of familiarity and thus, reassurance, as people like me, who have heard those, go through the full record for the first time.

Cons:

I just don't like the mix. Abe is too much in the back of the mix yet again. Where's that pop? I can't hear it. His even simpler drumming on Adrenaline or Around the Fur always amazed me by its presence and its sonic fidelity. There is almost nothing like that on Ohms in my opinion (don't get pissed, it's just my opinion). It is definitely an improvement from Gore, but this is not even close to what I expected from them working with Terry Date. And I'd be bold to criticise Terry's work: I think that's the best he could achieve with Sergio replacing Chi. Don't get me wrong: Sergio is a great bassist, I respect and admire his contribution as a band member and the enormity of the challenge in replacing Chi. I guess a part of me will never get used to pick-play over fingerplay. The sound of the band used to bathe in Chi's sound, now the bass is a complementary layer. I'll just never get used to that, this warm sound was, to me, essential to their sound. That's not saying they didn't do their best and the album is bad.

I actually like Chino's performance a lot on the record, but I'm not a fan of how loud he is on almost the entirety of the record. I don't feel like there is enough room for the music to breathe. I saw a couple of comparisons made between "When Girls Telephone Boys" and "This Link is Dead", and I think they're bogus: "WGTB" had Chino properly losing his mind screaming, the vocal effect was there only to add grit to it, the way I see it at least. "This Link is Dead" feels like the filter was put there to make sure Chino sounded heavy. And I guess I selfishly wish Chino would become again the vocalist he was during the "White Pony" days. It might be just me but the high notes on "Error" felt like Chino actually wanted to go full head voice, a la "Digital Bath", "Birthmark" or the end of "Root", instead of falsetto. I miss that stunning aspect to his vocal performance. Again, that's not to say it is bad. I just honestly have been more amazed with Chino in the past, and of course I'm just proud of that history, as a fan. I think his performance was great nonetheless and he should be really proud of it.

I didn't really feel anything listening to "Radiant City", although I enjoyed it to an extent. I wasn't really feeling "Urantia" on the leak, and that's not really changed. Probably my least favourite of the bunch.

Strongest cuts:

- The Spell of Mathematics
- Ceremony
- Headless
- Error
- Ohms
- The synth interlude of Pompeji

Ones I might skip over time:

- Urantia
- Radiant City

Again, that was my review off the first listen of the full thing. I hate reviews, but there you go. I won't compare it to other albums or anything. The fact Deftones are still making music is most amazing and this is beyond what fans could expect from a band with such longevity. I honestly would be very happy if they called it quits and this was their exit piece, obviously I hope it isn't!

Great first listen review, Ves. I am keen to hear what you have to say after a few more listens.

Visionz

From the official critics' point of view, this thing is going to look like white pony or better at least for the near future. This has nothing to do with my opinion but just looking around at all the reviews and scores that I expect most of you have been looking at, they are just slaying it with their scores....(Its in your face nowadays) people who have never heard of them hopefully catch on to this record for the band's sake. I think it's awesome for them that's all I'm saying bc i love and respect this group of musicians more than any other musical collab of all time. Even the motherfucking WUTANG CLAN. Deftones for life.... Amen

nicklav

Quote from: B_S_79 on Sep 25, 2020, 02:55 AM
Did anyone who lives in the states receive any sort of update or shipping confirmation on your vinyl bundle? i've received nothing

Me neither. Slightly worried to be honest.

Draken

Quote from: laurapalmer on Sep 25, 2020, 02:41 AM
Quote from: Draken on Sep 25, 2020, 02:32 AM
Quote from: laurapalmer on Sep 25, 2020, 02:24 AM
Two more hours

Not fully, but it's getting a midnight start to finish listen for sure.

May have to go for some midnight coffee and cherry pie

hell yeah ;)

976-EVIL

Not yet here either.
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

Draken

Quote from: Visionz on Sep 25, 2020, 02:44 AM
Two more hours

Happy bday and WOOOOOH! Bday plus GF =? Plus new Deftones? Good at math but as easy as that one is, u gotta figure that one out tourself bud

thanks, you never know... someone posted a comment on the Genesis video about raising their kids on Deftones and I commented back that I might be MAKING some kids on this album.

Draken

Quote from: 976-EVIL on Sep 25, 2020, 03:08 AM

Not yet here either.

Nada

as in nada damn thing...

nicklav

Ohms music video has 3M views and Genesis has 1M. That's incredible, and well deserved.

Draken

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 25, 2020, 02:44 AM

The sputnikmusic review is well written. Now, I ain't that of a huge fan of WP, but them stating Ohms being better than WP ? Hmmm dunno about that

Yeah, I dunno about it too. I honestly don't know where I'd rank Ohms in their discography, too early to make that call. There's a lot of newer DT fans on there I think, so there newer stuff seems to more praised than a lot of their older stuff (besides Gore). They also really underrate the shit out of S/T.

Speaking of Gore, this NME ranking of all the albums put it over Koi, Andrenaline, SNW and ATF...I respect the troll lol:

https://www.nme.com/features/deftones-every-single-album-ranked-and-rated-2760407

NME ranking Gore over ATF

Visionz

Think chino started raising bees in his late career following Hetfield? Haha honey honey honey

Visionz

Quote from: Draken on Sep 25, 2020, 03:21 AM

Yeah, I dunno about it too. I honestly don't know where I'd rank Ohms in their discography, too early to make that call. There's a lot of newer DT fans on there I think, so there newer stuff seems to more praised than a lot of their older stuff (besides Gore). They also really underrate the shit out of S/T.

Out of this world review and ranking. I gotta go and shit/puke same time after that..... never mind who cares? (With a glance of the order)just my humble mumbo jumbo

Visionz

U can split error literally in half and give me the latter

lungdamage

Quote from: Visionz on Sep 25, 2020, 03:26 AM

Out of this world review and ranking. I gotta go and shit/puke same time after that..... never mind who cares? (With a glance of the order)
Quote from: Visionz on Sep 25, 2020, 03:26 AM

Out of this world review and ranking. I gotta go and shit/puke same time after that..... never mind who cares? (With a glance of the order)

That review was hilarious, cmon. Word salad to the max until he tired himself out :) It's my favourite so far LOL

lungdamage

Quote from: Visionz on Sep 25, 2020, 03:29 AM
U can split error literally in half and give me the latter

Error's chorus is catchy as fuck. Also, I really like that almost 'The shape of punk to come' vibe of 'This Link is Dead' into 'Radiant City' as a one-two punch at the moment.

Visionz

TSOM - Abe. U sexy fucking beast you. Some drumming there i cant decipher just yet