Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMLiberator

Quote from: LG95 on Nov 04, 2020, 10:18 PM
This song breakdown from Chino on the title track is awesome https://songexploder.net/deftones

Includes clips from Stef's original demo and them jamming out the idea in the studio.

That was absolutely wonderful, I could listen to literal hours of that. Hearing the isolated tracks was so cool, especially Frank's and how the effects on the vocals build up etc

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Nov 06, 2020, 04:43 PM
That breakdown of the inception of Ohms was great. Can anyone identify the effect responsible for Stef's guitar tone? Is it an octave fuzz or just an octaver?

I'm not sure about that, but I'm almost certain there's also a subtle harmonizer playing thirds there, along with the also very subtle -1 octave
i'm confused??

Draken

We need an auto-ban of anyone who even mentions that twats name.

B_S_79

That songexploder podcast was great. Very cool how in depth they got with the creation of Ohms.

I'm shocked Abe didn't use a click track on this album.
This is the first time I've ever heard Chino acknowledge the abuse he's done to his voice over the years.
I kinda liked the original slower Ohms riff...

I wish they would do this kind of stuff more often. Kudos to the podcast for thinking of something new. At least it's better than reading Chino's response as to why Eros isn't released yet. Lol.

Gaz

Still got Ohms on heavy rotation, still love it, still the only weak track for me is TLID, I don't think it will ever sink in with me, apart from that it's a flawless album.

Draken

Quote from: Gaz on Nov 09, 2020, 03:01 PM
Still got Ohms on heavy rotation, still love it, still the only weak track for me is TLID, I don't think it will ever sink in with me, apart from that it's a flawless album.

Same, it just does nothing for me. The rest of the album is still really dope.

DenakDW

I love the whole record, but i still dont get the hype for "the spell of mathematics"...i mean great song but its my least fav. just my useless opinion tho, feel like sharing it.
And all the days I've missed you 🍂

Visionz

Quote from: DenakDW on Nov 10, 2020, 04:54 AM
I love the whole record, but i still dont get the hype for "the spell of mathematics"...i mean great song but its my least fav. just my useless opinion tho, feel like sharing it.

"Least fav" like #10???

976-EVIL

Seems everybody pretty much loves the Album. However it's interesting how polarizing both TLID and TSOM are to this board. IMO...both are solid tracks. I doubt I will get much support here but.

I think This Link is Dead is far better than TSOM.
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

laurapalmer

Yeah I tend to agree. Actually ranking all 10 would be quite difficult but I'm fairly certain TLID and TSOM are both somewhere in the 6-10 range.

secretbandinsider

TSOM is easily a top 3 track for me, but there is something really awkward about the way it kicks in. I definitely would have like some kind of intro or better transition into the song proper.

Vesanic

Y'all mad, TSOM is up there. I also like the way it just kicks in. I feel like Rosemary-type intros are overdone.

Gaz

TSOM is easily one of the best songs!

secretbandinsider

Quote from: Vesanic on Nov 12, 2020, 06:14 PM
Y'all mad, TSOM is up there. I also like the way it just kicks in. I feel like Rosemary-type intros are overdone.

True, but I would have killed for a Hearts redux type intro

Visionz

TSOM Is one of their greatest tracks imo. Such a unique guitar sound to me.  Great misical composition and lyrically as well... also I've never tried to make myself like something or discover something that I can't discover where others can until they wrote this link is dead. I just don't get the hype but it's music and that's how it goes

secretbandinsider

when I first heard the clean part with the 'snaps' my soul literally left my body

Draken

Quote from: Vesanic on Nov 12, 2020, 06:14 PM

Agreed

I too like the way the song just kicks in

Visionz

I love that they kept Abe's sticks in the beginning. Genesis too. At the end of Ceremony going into Urantia you get that live feeling also like Abe's sticks give u because there's some very subtle but clear clicking sounds like Terry hitting switches or something or someone doing something with an instrument. Listen for it if u missed it. The record has a bunch of little sounds and ideas that give it more of a live feeling than any of their previous records IMO.... adding to  the "finger snaps"

Vesanic

Going into something like my 4th listen, first time since the release week. Genesis sounds pretty great tbh

E-Money

Quote from: Vesanic on Nov 15, 2020, 10:11 PM
Going into something like my 4th listen, first time since the release week. Genesis sounds pretty great tbh

Keep saying the same thing . It's grown on me so much. Pompeji has as Well. Chinos just sounds amazing on Genesis.

punkflop01

Quote from: Vesanic on Nov 15, 2020, 10:11 PM
Yes!  Genesis went from one of my least favourites to a song I look forward to every time I hit play.  It's got such a full and heavy sound - love it!