Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laurapalmer

After 3 listens, I enjoy the track just fine.... but am I alone in thinking that if it's Smile fucked Goon Squad?

Draken

No I agree, I'd never enter a serious debate about something that's so subjective. I haven't heard the song yet, I just asked if they thought it would grow on them more over time. Also curious to know what is the bar for those that seem reserved about it.

Roidragee

Quote from: laurapalmer on Sep 17, 2020, 07:44 PM
After 3 listens, I enjoy the track just fine.... but am I alone in thinking that if it's Smile fucked Goon Squad?
Yeah I definitely get Smile vibes on the bridge section

SMLiberator

Quote from: Draken on Sep 17, 2020, 07:29 PM
To those who have heard the track and don't care for it as much as the others here, do you think it will be a grower for you and what is your opinion of Deftones best album? Just curious.

I can't point to what's the objectively best album, but my favorites are S/T, DE and KNY in no particular order. S/T and KNY (like most of their other albums) were growers, while I loved DE (and ATF) from the start. Oddly enough, White Pony is not my favorite, probably because I got into them pretty late so it didn't appear as revolutionary to me as it must have sounded at the time since I'd probably already heard thousands of records that have been influenced by it.

Regarding Genesis, it is definitely a grower for me, but not so much for other folks here as you can see.
i'm confused??

Matthewtheloser

Actually, those exact two tracks are the ones that came to mind the strongest for me too. The chorus gives me major Smile vibes.

Gaz

Let this song sink in, it's fucking great. BIG Sound

Inkblades

Quote from: DenakDW on Sep 17, 2020, 07:36 PM
I used to debate with fans wether a song being good or not. Now i found that funny... and i know everyone has a valid opinion, because well.. its yours... but i couldnt care less if i am enjoying this song and another person is not.  Im blasting the shit out of Genesis. You decide if you like it or not stop trying to convince other people that the song is trash/amazing.

Yeah, I used to be like that when I was younger, but as you get older it does seem pointless. You certainly aren't going to change anyone's mind on your opinion alone. I do love Genesis so much that when I see someone go "Meh" my first instinct is "WHAT!? HOW COME YOU DON'T LOVE THIS AS MUCH AS I DO!?!". But I have to realize there are Deftones songs that I say "Meh" to that other fans love. It can be fun debating sometimes and I've learned to be more respectful in disagreeing with others (I used to be a straight up asshole on this site lol) because taste in all forms of art, from music to movies to paintings, is entirely subjective.

Draken

Quote from: SMLiberator on Sep 17, 2020, 07:52 PM
To those who have heard the track and don't care for it as much as the others here, do you think it will be a grower for you and what is your opinion of Deftones best album? Just curious.

I can't point to what's the objectively best album, but my favorites are S/T, DE and KNY in no particular order. S/T and KNY (like most of their other albums) were growers, while I loved DE (and ATF) from the start. Oddly enough, White Pony is not my favorite, probably because I got into them pretty late so it didn't appear as revolutionary to me as it must have sounded at the time since I'd probably already heard thousands of records that have been influenced by it.

Regarding Genesis, it is definitely a grower for me, but not so much for other folks here as you can see.

Interesting, WP was pretty much a left turn in the direction that music of it's kind were going. I can see how nowadays it's not that apparent. Thanks for the input, I can probably tell that this will be a grower for me as well (like most) however Ohms immediately took with me. I really like that track.

amazing avatar pic btw  ;D

Inkblades

It's like Leathers, Tempest, Rosemary, Goon Squad, Hexagram, Royal and the end of Beware all had a massive orgy. Don't get a Smile vibe, though.

Draken

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 17, 2020, 07:59 PM
I used to debate with fans wether a song being good or not. Now i found that funny... and i know everyone has a valid opinion, because well.. its yours... but i couldnt care less if i am enjoying this song and another person is not.  Im blasting the shit out of Genesis. You decide if you like it or not stop trying to convince other people that the song is trash/amazing.

Yeah, I used to be like that when I was younger, but as you get older it does seem pointless. You certainly aren't going to change anyone's mind on your opinion alone. I do love Genesis so much that when I see someone go "Meh" my first instinct is "WHAT!? HOW COME YOU DON'T LOVE THIS AS MUCH AS I DO!?!". But I have to realize there are Deftones songs that I say "Meh" to that other fans love. It can be fun debating sometimes and I've learned to be more respectful in disagreeing with others (I used to be a straight up asshole on this site lol) because taste in everything, from music to movies to paintings, is entirely subjective.

There were a lot of assholes on this site back in the day (it IS the internet) but it's been fun seeing all you assholes grow up and mature lol. I feel like the younger generation fans today have more internet etiquette than we did in our younger days.

Draken

and sorry what I should have asked is what is your favorite Deftones album. idk why I phrased it that way...

Inkblades

Quote from: Draken on Sep 17, 2020, 08:08 PM

Yeah, I used to be like that when I was younger, but as you get older it does seem pointless. You certainly aren't going to change anyone's mind on your opinion alone. I do love Genesis so much that when I see someone go "Meh" my first instinct is "WHAT!? HOW COME YOU DON'T LOVE THIS AS MUCH AS I DO!?!". But I have to realize there are Deftones songs that I say "Meh" to that other fans love. It can be fun debating sometimes and I've learned to be more respectful in disagreeing with others (I used to be a straight up asshole on this site lol) because taste in everything, from music to movies to paintings, is entirely subjective.

There were a lot of assholes on this site back in the day (it IS the internet) but it's been fun seeing all you assholes grow up and mature lol. I feel like the younger generation fans today have more internet etiquette than we did in our younger days.

Lol yeah. It is the internet. I think what bothers me is when people offer negative opinions but then don't really explain why they feel that way. I don't know why I expect that from the internet - it's the perfect place for someone to glibly write "this sucks!" and then just move onto the next thing without explaining why they think so. There I go with my damn expectations again - and for anonymous internet users none the less.

Draken

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 17, 2020, 08:22 PM
Quote from: Draken on Sep 17, 2020, 08:08 PM

Lol yeah. It is the internet. I think what bothers me is when people offer negative opinions but then don't really explain why they feel that way. I don't know why I expect that from the internet - it's the perfect place for someone to glibly write "this sucks!" and then just move onto the next thing without explaining why they think so. There I go with my damn expectations again - and from anonymous internet users none the less.

It amazes me how differing the opinions are on Deftones music. They really are a great band with diversity. I think it's our innate desire to persuade someone else to be excited about something that excites us. But I agree it's easy to be irked by someone who passively says something sucks. There's a big difference there.

secretbandinsider

Upon further listens Genesis is one of my least favorite songs of theirs. I'll take any song on Gore over this song, fight me. Apparently Stephen was disengaged on Gore but he's back in full form here supposedly, yet these are the riffs he came up with? What the hell? This song was a letdown yet the t/t was an unexpected sleeper hit, so I'm left with some massive cognitive dissonance about this album.

LG95

Quote from: secretbandinsider on Sep 17, 2020, 08:43 PM
Upon further listens Genesis is one of my least favorite songs of theirs. I'll take any song on Gore over this song, fight me.
Why would we care enough to fight you about that?
I could float here forever

secretbandinsider

I don't know, I just expected your Deftones-based autism to kick in

LG95

I could float here forever

Inkblades

Quote from: secretbandinsider on Sep 17, 2020, 08:49 PM
I don't know, I just expected your Deftones-based autism to kick in

LOL...isn't thinking Xenon > Genesis the true Deftones-based autism, though?

Guess I haven't changed after all.  ;D

Visionz

:)Who gives a shit. U dont like it, he does. And im still excited about hearing it next week. Ill give my two cents that dont matter to anyone here but ill still share. Doesnt mean anyone should be bothered by my opinion and vice versa. Its JUST music. Deftones or The Rolling Stones. We r all different dude

from_musings

listened to genesis, and wow..what a way to begin a record.i hope all songs on the album sound like this.
will they? of course not, but this is classic deftones swagger,this is what i love about them.fucking beautiful.
my goosebumps had goosebumps while i just smiled. i may very well still be smiling, quite possible i dont know. well done guys, well done.