Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buflen

Quote from: LG95 on Sep 18, 2020, 04:47 PM
Writing the vocals after the music is recorded is unusual but by no means unique. Cocteau Twins, for example, always created the music before Liz Fraser added her vocals. Maynard James Keenan does it like that with all his projects. It's a longer way of doing it and probably frustrating for the rest of your band who are waiting for the song to be finished. But then it also forces the band to write music that already works on its own instrumentally. Then the vocals come in like an additional instrument on top.
but then, there are risk of the singer to come in, can't write anything off the music, decide to play with the song structure to fit his melody, and make it worse. some songs off SNW comes to mind.

LG95

Quote from: buflen on Sep 18, 2020, 04:50 PM
Writing the vocals after the music is recorded is unusual but by no means unique. Cocteau Twins, for example, always created the music before Liz Fraser added her vocals. Maynard James Keenan does it like that with all his projects. It's a longer way of doing it and probably frustrating for the rest of your band who are waiting for the song to be finished. But then it also forces the band to write music that already works on its own instrumentally. Then the vocals come in like an additional instrument on top.
but then, there are risk of the singer to come in, can't write anything off the music, decide to play with the song structure to fit his melody, and make it worse. some songs off SNW comes to mind.
Well yeah, hence there's no right or wrong way to do it. Positives and negatives to either process. A punk band couldn't record like that, for example.
I could float here forever

Inkblades

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Sep 18, 2020, 02:49 PM
Probably the most annoying thing about this band is when they write songs that just miss the mark due to laziness or just bad decisions during the bridge. Was really disappointed when they got to the bridge and they did the predictable "let's just play the chorus riff without the rest of the band" thing and then suddenly it feels like it's going to go somewhere different and exciting...and then just back to the chorus riff again...come on guys! Same thing kind of happens during Ohms when they have the extra riff after the second chorus. Should've played with that a little more and have the song go in a less obvious direction.

I've definitely felt that way about some of their past songs that had weak bridges and then went right back to a verse or chorus like like Entombed and What Happened to You? or songs that practically have no bridges like Graphic Nature and Gauze. But the bridge on Genesis works like gangbusters to me so I don't mind when they go back to the chorus for the third and final time. Plus the jump from bridge to chorus blends pretty seamlessly. From what I'm hearing, Stef throws down two different riffs on the bridge alone and then another riff over the repeated verse riff on the outro for extra depth (if it's not Chino's guitar, might be). I mean this thing is a fucking riff fest through and through. I feel like Stef really stepped it up on this song.

Capt Snow

I think Chino said somewhere in an interview that during the songwriting process he adds some simple vocals that gave the idea of a vocal melody but are mostly unintelligable gibberish. Later he comes up with the lyrics and then he sings it for the final work.

I think the concept vocals for Cherry Waves were once posted on this board, it's really interesting to listen to. Another forum member probably knows what I'm talking about.

buflen

Quote from: Capt Snow on Sep 18, 2020, 05:18 PM

I think Chino said somewhere in an interview that during the songwriting process he adds some simple vocals that gave the idea of a vocal melody but are mostly unintelligable gibberish. Later he comes up with the lyrics and then he sings it for the final work.

I think the concept vocals for Cherry Waves were once posted on this board, it's really interesting to listen to. Another forum member probably knows what I'm talking about.
The SNW demos have those vocals in. Just gibberish. The Combats demo vocals are hilarious

Vesanic

Quote from: buflen on Sep 18, 2020, 03:24 PM
Quote from: rainnyx4 on Sep 18, 2020, 02:49 PM
I feel like this has been confirmed numerous times, but it seems like Chino has final say over the format of songs. I think he cut up SNW pretty much all by himself and he mentioned that when Steph writes songs they tend to be MUCH longer initially and that he gets them to make them abbreviated in the end. Gotta wonder what the earlier versions of these songs look like.
he did for SNW, but nothing is confirmed for the other albums. But to be honest, some of the SNW demos seemed to drag on forever.

I don't think they drag on as much as they give you time to enter the song and feel the atmosphere. I love the untitled 5, Finger of Death is so good, this whole bunch of demos is very interesting and probably unlike anything they ever did. My favorite Deftones song is Pink Maggit, arguably their longest song.

Rosemary on the other hand is what I'd call a drag.

Slacker

its not sergio in the backing vocals

theres nothing remotly close to "salsa" anywhere

theres no 9 string visible in either of the two songs available

im psyched that some of yall are enjoying the new stuff. but lets not blow out of proportion some of this stuff.

buflen

Quote from: Slacker on Sep 18, 2020, 05:33 PM
im psyched that some of yall are enjoying the new stuff. but lets not blow out of proportion some of this stuff.
different opinion exists. Genesis might be the best deftones song to some fans.
I wouldn't know, I have not listened to it yet and wants to judge it as a opener/ part of the album

Ihateallofmyfriends

Quote from: buflen on Sep 18, 2020, 05:23 PM
Quote from: Capt Snow on Sep 18, 2020, 05:18 PM

The SNW demos have those vocals in. Just gibberish. The Combats demo vocals are hilarious

First from Adrenaline is basically this kind of track, I always felt like that track, while great sounded unfinished. But it was a great glimpse into what was going to come from this band

from_musings

Quote from: Sal_Ameigh on Sep 18, 2020, 04:26 AM
Heard some Jane's Addiction influence.

yeah agree.im also hearing a lot of lonley island's dick in a box in this song

Far away

theres nothing remotly close to "salsa" anywhere

I was thinking the same way. But, then again, I'm no salsa expert.

How dare people think for themselves, right?

sharinglungs

its not sergio in the backing vocals

It absolutely is. It's a completely different voice to Chinos.

I would be absolutely shocked if it's not Sergio.

buflen

Inkblades

Quote from: buflen on Sep 18, 2020, 05:37 PM
different opinion exists. Genesis might be the best deftones song to some fans.
I wouldn't know, I have not listened to it yet and wants to judge it as a opener/ part of the album

Genesis is in my top 10 Deftones songs as of right now.

from_musings

Quote from: SMLiberator on Sep 17, 2020, 11:55 PM
Also, it might be just me, but I get heavy Slipknot vibes from that outro

Dude wtf, I'm all for different opinons, but this is just too harsh. reported

Far away

Quote from: from_musings on Sep 18, 2020, 05:49 PM
Quote from: SMLiberator on Sep 17, 2020, 11:55 PM
Also, it might be just me, but I get heavy Slipknot vibes from that outro

Dude wtf, I'm all for different opinons, but this is just too harsh. reported

lmao
My troll sense is tingling.

buflen

Hey, I'm not a Slipknot fan, but there are worse bands to be compared to.

from_musings

Quote from: DenakDW on Sep 18, 2020, 02:53 AM
I've heard the song 35 times today, still loving it.

i understand...it's like crack. i'm murdering the repeat button. can't see myself ever getting tired of this song. my new bloody cape

from_musings

Quote from: mono on Sep 18, 2020, 04:20 AM
The video is meh, maybe I've just expected more.

rule #1. never expect something out of a deftones video. ever.

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 18, 2020, 04:31 AM
Also, this is the most they've sounded like S/T since...well, since S/T. That pissed-off darkness is back.

yup it's crazy. never thought I would relive it, but here we are :D good times

Quote from: Far away on Sep 18, 2020, 04:11 AM
Overall, I'd give this one an 7.5/10. Could be higher

up to 2.5 higher...right?

from_musings

Quote from: FatherUppercut on Sep 18, 2020, 02:03 PM
That video was too busy. You could totally tell everyone's parts were filmed separately and just layered on top of each other lol.

Music videos Covid style - no bueno

steph looked so slim and thin in the video. effect?