Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buflen

Quote from: from_musings on Sep 18, 2020, 05:52 PM
Quote from: DenakDW on Sep 18, 2020, 02:53 AM
I've heard the song 35 times today, still loving it.

i understand...it's like crack. i'm murdering the repeat button. can't see myself ever getting tired of this song. my new bloody cape
This kind of comment makes it hard to control myself and wait until the album release. But i'm still holding up.

Far away

Quote from: from_musings on Sep 18, 2020, 06:01 PM

Quote from: Far away on Sep 18, 2020, 04:11 AM
Overall, I'd give this one an 7.5/10. Could be higher

up to 2.5 higher...right?

Could be, if it wasnt for those '
Quote from: from_musings on Sep 18, 2020, 06:01 PM

Quote from: mono on Sep 18, 2020, 04:20 AM
The video is meh, maybe I've just expected more.

rule #1. never expect something out of a deftones video. ever.

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 18, 2020, 04:31 AM
Also, this is the most they've sounded like S/T since...well, since S/T. That pissed-off darkness is back.

yup it's crazy. never thought I would relive it, but here we are :D good times

Quote from: Far away on Sep 18, 2020, 04:11 AM
Overall, I'd give this one an 7.5/10. Could be higher

up to 2.5 higher...right?

It would be higher for me for sure, if it wasnt for those 'Balance, balance, balance' and other parts alike. But thats just me being a prick. I mean, picky, lol.

Gaz

Can't fucking wait to hear this live, which might not be for  while thanks to that fucker Covid

LG95

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 18, 2020, 05:27 PM
Rosemary on the other hand is what I'd call a drag.
Maaaaaate. Opinions and all that but fuck me haha.

Incidentally, given someone mentioned it earlier; I think Combat is pretty rubbish. Main heavy riff's ok but that's about it for me. I think Genesis stomps all over it.

Not trying to turn this into the unpopular opinions thread though. Back to the album...
I could float here forever

Gaz

Quote from: LG95 on Sep 18, 2020, 06:37 PM
Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 18, 2020, 05:27 PM
Rosemary on the other hand is what I'd call a drag.
Maaaaaate. Opinions and all that but fuck me haha.

Incidentally, given someone mentioned it earlier; I think Combat is pretty rubbish. Main heavy riff's ok but that's about it for me. I think Genesis stomps all over it.

Not trying to turn this into the unpopular opinions thread though. Back to the album...

Genesis shits all over Combat for sure

nineteen

Love the effects on Chino's vocals. Really cuts through and reminds me of White Pony stuff.

Really like it when he says "I'm positive" just after Stef goes up a note from that drone riff

Visionz

Quote from: Capt Snow on Sep 18, 2020, 05:18 PM
Quote from: LG95 on Sep 18, 2020, 04:47 PM
Writing the vocals after the music is recorded is unusual but by no means unique. Cocteau Twins, for example, always created the music before Liz Fraser added her vocals. Maynard James Keenan does it like that with all his projects. It's a longer way of doing it and probably frustrating for the rest of your band who are waiting for the song to be finished. But then it also forces the band to write music that already works on its own instrumentally. Then the vocals come in like an additional instrument on top.

I think Chino said somewhere in an interview that during the songwriting process he adds some simple vocals that gave the idea of a vocal melody but are mostly unintelligable gibberish. Later he comes up with the lyrics and then he sings it for the final work.

I think the concept vocals for Cherry Waves were once posted on this board, it's really interesting to listen to. Another forum member probably knows what I'm talking about.

Yeah there is footage on a few youtube videos of him doing just that. ATF and WP era comes to mind with him doing that at The Spot.  Dunno if they were rehearsing or recording but it can be found

LG95

8/10 in Metal Hammer. This part is especially interesting:

"(This Link Is Dead) is probably the most out-and-out brutal Deftones have sounded since When Girls Telephone Boys on their 2003 self-titled album. It's such a delight to hear the band rage with such uncompromising intensity again, so good in fact that it's the highlight of the record."
I could float here forever

Visionz

Quote from: from_musings on Sep 18, 2020, 06:09 PM
Quote from: FatherUppercut on Sep 18, 2020, 02:03 PM
That video was too busy. You could totally tell everyone's parts were filmed separately and just layered on top of each other lol.

Music videos Covid style - no bueno

steph looked so slim and thin in the video. effect?

He does look slim in the Ohms vid i thought. They all look healthy. However, Abe's been indulging in the Belching Beaver

Draken

all i know is this main riff is gettin me hype AF like:

i cant wait to elbow you fuckers again whenever we can get back in the moshpits  :D fukin covid...

Draken

Quote from: buflen on Sep 18, 2020, 02:11 PM
Quote from: Draken on Sep 18, 2020, 04:34 AM
Well I caved and watched the video premiere... I'm getting some serious Ohms vibes
Weak :)

lol, yes well i knew that shit would be saying hello everytime i get online. I did say I'd listen to anything officially released.  ;)

from_musings

Quote from: Digaums on Sep 18, 2020, 02:03 PM
"I reject ... both sides of what I'm being told" is there anything more Deftones than that?

in the 2h interview,newly posted in the interview thread, chino said that just that line was about politics.
republicans and democrats, and that he hates politics and rarely/never writes lyrics about it.

Quote from: Jdubzor on Sep 18, 2020, 04:29 PM
Cause when youre the boss, you can take a break as long as you want.

^awesome quote by an awesome person

Quote from: buflen on Sep 18, 2020, 06:11 PM
This kind of comment makes it hard to control myself and wait until the album release. But i'm still holding up.

you're in for a treat. i was floored.still am.everyone in the band brings their a-game and terry date's dna is all over this song.
if I have to find something to complain about,that would be that chino sounds a little bit worn out in certain screams.
but he's almost 50, so it's a bit like "time takes its toll on us",time wears you down,so it's cool like that i think.
I like when everything's not perfect per se and like when it's not polished to the max. it's not like when chino's voice breaks in his hexagram screams or anything,but you'll see.

Quote from: Gaz on Sep 18, 2020, 06:43 PM
Genesis shits all over Combat for sure

lol combat, although being the best snw song, it has nothing on genesis. genesis is next level shit

Draken

Quote from: Visionz on Sep 18, 2020, 06:51 PM
Writing the vocals after the music is recorded is unusual but by no means unique. Cocteau Twins, for example, always created the music before Liz Fraser added her vocals. Maynard James Keenan does it like that with all his projects. It's a longer way of doing it and probably frustrating for the rest of your band who are waiting for the song to be finished. But then it also forces the band to write music that already works on its own instrumentally. Then the vocals come in like an additional instrument on top.

I think Chino said somewhere in an interview that during the songwriting process he adds some simple vocals that gave the idea of a vocal melody but are mostly unintelligable gibberish. Later he comes up with the lyrics and then he sings it for the final work.

I think the concept vocals for Cherry Waves were once posted on this board, it's really interesting to listen to. Another forum member probably knows what I'm talking about.

Yeah there is footage on a few youtube videos of him doing just that. ATF and WP era comes to mind with him doing that at The Spot.  Dunno if they were rehearsing or recording but it can be found

oh you most certainly are speaking of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpHHkPbqgqI
i actually really like the vocals melodies here

E-Money

I dig the track. It's growing on me a lot since yesterday. Not my favorite thing they have ever done but definitely a solid Deftones song. Nice to hear them properly produced again. But I know they will be much better songs on this album. I've already heard two that are better. I can definitely see the Jane's Addiction comparison but I think I hear that even more on urantia! 😎

from_musings

Quote from: Visionz on Sep 18, 2020, 06:56 PM
Abe's been indulging in the Belching Beaver

and chino has once again tasted the blood of the unholy swine

Draken

Draken

"salsa" ;D ... smh 

Quote from: E-Money on Sep 18, 2020, 07:21 PM
I dig the track. It's growing on me a lot since yesterday. Not my favorite thing they have ever done but definitely a solid Deftones song. Nice to hear them properly produced again. But I know they will be much better songs on this album. I've already heard two that are better. I can definitely see the Jane's Addiction comparison but I think I hear that even more on urantia! 😎

i heard that clip and all i'll say is [bleepity_bleep*censored*removed_for_moderation*bleep] sounded good.

Capt Snow

Quote from: Draken on Sep 18, 2020, 07:19 PM
Quote from: Visionz on Sep 18, 2020, 06:51 PM

oh you most certainly are speaking of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpHHkPbqgqI
i actually really like the vocals melodies here

Yeah this is it, thanks for posting. Just goes to show Chino is collaborating on the songs from start till finish.

Vesanic

Genesis and Ohms are definitely not the strongest cuts for me.

Hold your horses just a little longer. Hell, with the NZ advance and shit, it's like 6 days left, if not 5 and a half, before it hits the web in a form or another.

Hesperian Death-Horse!

I love Rosemary.
I love Combat.
I love Self-Titled as a whole.

I have refrained from indulging in Genesis as of yet.

I've listened to Ohms (single)

I've been feeling like this album was going to be a return to the tastiest meat of what made Self Titled amazing.

Some of the comments here are making me feel reinforced in that assessment and I'm in love with it. I hope it pans out.

When Chino said in that interview that he felt there was a component of keyword lyric themes repeating through the album it made me think of all the keywords that are peppered throughout S/T and made it so rich.

I just read the lyrics to Genesis and I'm convinced the song is going to blow me away. Chino writes such astute and unique perspectives and places emphasis on words that other lyricists would consider "filler" or just conjunctive. I fucking love Chino when he's at his best and I feel like "Ohms" is an example of his lyrical potential and Genesis is following suit. There's simplicity in the makeup but complexity in the meaning and it bursts through when you stop and consider the intentions of the words.