Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

976-EVIL

48 HOURS!

Since OHMS hit for this listener, once again this Record is beyond Great. Love the debate here about The Tracks! Interesting for sure. Kinda suprised at the lack of love for This Link is Dead?

Pompeji flows so emotional and different for the Band. Anyone who says this Album isn't experimental is incorrect.Then Frank OWNS, into a Fantastic Track.
That has no Votes?
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

iAmFlyerThanYou

This album has so many small elements of familiar sounds of their previous work, composing a new experience with their music, I suppose as with most bands, but... My initial impression was juxtaposed to their catalogue, ok, it's a Deftones record. And it certainly wasn't as impressive as DE, KNY, or Gore on the first listen. Honestly, the first two or three listens, it was a little disappointing. After 10-15 listens, the best I can describe this album is... it is like a bush full of buds, and the buds keep blooming and blooming. Each time I listen it gets more colorful and it is evident that they really took their time composing it. I am in disbelief at how much I love it now vs. how disappointing it sounded on the first couple listens. I think this is going to be one of, if not my favorite Deftones record.

I can't put into words how good Ceremony and The Spell of Mathematics are, to me. The whole album is taking me places and I love it.

mrpelon94

OMG why couldnt hey have a break down beat of TSOM ...let that ride playa 🤦🏽‍♂️

976-EVIL

It's not fun here anymore?
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

IN WAVES

Quote from: 976-EVIL on Sep 27, 2020, 09:38 AM
It's not fun here anymore?

I voted for Radiant City, but I think Ceremony is my favorite song again. :/

I love that part!

lahemi

"These guys have released well over 100 songs, all pertaining to the same signature Deftones style, yet they are still finding ways to reinvent their sound and bring new ideas to the table at a point in time where any other band would have run out of steam."
from a review on rym

Headless and TSOM are where it's at boiiii, so many musical highlights!
Ohms' sound is just so rich, the drumming is so effortless and fun to listen to. The second half of TSOM is so smoof! Genesis still feels so much like ATF to me, and Headless! Uggghhh
The Selftitled will always be my favorite, the warmth and brooding sound of that album gives me all the feels, everytime, and I know Ohms has a completely different sound, but it just gives me the vibes of WP/ST. Love it.

IN WAVES

1. Deftones
2. Around the Fur
3. White Pony
4. Ohms
5. Saturday Night Wrist
6. Diamond Eyes
7. Koi No Yokan
8. Adrenaline
9. Gore

Final answer.

lahemi

Quote from: from_musings on Sep 26, 2020, 10:22 PM
The heavy screamy parts of Spell of Mathematics reminds me a lot of the voire dire record by will heaven.drony dramatic synths to a massive murky guitar and angst ridden screams, pretty tense. I like all the parts though,the song is very good as a whole.

Oh shit, so true! Stephen is on their last album btw, if you're into the heavy and screamish side of the spectrum: Will Haven - El Sol

nineteen

Quote from: lahemi on Sep 27, 2020, 01:38 PM
The heavy screamy parts of Spell of Mathematics reminds me a lot of the voire dire record by will heaven.drony dramatic synths to a massive murky guitar and angst ridden screams, pretty tense. I like all the parts though,the song is very good as a whole.

Oh shit, so true! Stephen is on their last album btw, if you're into the heavy and screamish side of the spectrum:

The synth at the end of Pompeji also reminds me of the synth at the end of Landing On Ice from Will Haven's 'The Hierophant' album (think Chino did the synth on that track if I remember correctly)

lahemi

Quote from: nineteen on Sep 27, 2020, 02:55 PM
Quote from: lahemi on Sep 27, 2020, 01:38 PM

Oh shit, so true! Stephen is on their last album btw, if you're into the heavy and screamish side of the spectrum:

The synth at the end of Pompeji also reminds me of the synth at the end of Landing On Ice from Will Haven's 'The Hierophant' album (think Chino did the synth on that track if I remember correctly)

Man, you've nailed it. The opening riff of Genesis reminded me of something and I couldn't put my finger on it; Carpe Diem, when the main riff of Genesis played one last time right at the end. But now that I'm listening to Carpe Diem it pales in comparison to the wall of sound of Genesis when the 1-0-0-0 riff hits. lol but still..

edit: Not to mention that Shaun Lopez and Chino were involved with The Hierophant. And Chino actually being in the Video of Carpe Diem, etc.
edit²: Man, I totally forgot about Will Haven. It's WBTG on every track, and you'll get tired of it, but when you're in the mood.. phew lol

2MoreHours

After giving Ohms several listens (enough that it's all familiar now) I believe I can say it's kind of a mid-pack Deftones album.  While all the songs are pretty good, there are a few elements that could be better.  Steph rides the same note too often throughout the album and while heavy, some of the riffs seem lazy.  It's almost like he was thinking he has to play these live and doesn't want to have to think too hard.  Anyway, it's a good album as all Deftones albums are.  Here is how I rank their albums for now.  Diamond Eyes and Ohms could be flipped in my rankings.  They are very close.  I gave the nod to DE because Stephs riffs are a little better on that one with songs like Prince and Royal.

White Pony
SNW
Deftones
Around the Fur
Diamond Eyes
Ohms
KNY
Adrenaline
Gore

kleptoned

Im so glad I know nothing about production or lazy riffs or not enough snare etc. Its all subjective and I love this album just like all the other ones. Seems like some people here are nitpicking the shit out of it. Again glad Im a moron when it comes to the audiophile type shit so I can just enjoy it.. Wish I could rank all the albums and or songs but it all depends on my mood and whats going on around me .

lungdamage

Quote from: kleptoned on Sep 27, 2020, 05:20 PM
Im so glad I know nothing about production or lazy riffs or not enough snare etc. Its all subjective and I love this album just like all the other ones. Seems like some people here are nitpicking the shit out of it. Again glad Im a moron when it comes to the audiophile type shit so I can just enjoy it.. Wish I could rank all the albums and or songs but it all depends on my mood and whats going on around me .

I think the snare is tuned a little low on purpose for the particular mix on this album.

lungdamage

I can't do that poll btw, I selected a song just so I could see the results :)

Do a poll where you can select your top three next :) It's too hard to choose damn it :)

Wow, not one person has chosen 'This Link is Dead' yet... I wasn't expecting that.

Visionz

Quote from: lungdamage on Sep 27, 2020, 05:44 PM
I can't do that poll btw, I selected a song just so I could see the results :)

Do a poll where you can select your top three next :) It's too hard to choose damn it :)

Wow, not one person has chosen 'This Link is Dead' yet... I wasn't expecting that.

Today, its probably my least fav Deftones track, diwn there with PBride n Sextape for me. Hope it changes but its just cheesy to me

Visionz

Love Radiant...  its like left out parts from ATF and ST to my ears.  Whole record is really starting to feel a type of way for me and i really really enjoy the hell out of it. Going into Headless for about the 10th time right now.... great intro. Cant determine if its the opening of an old creaky door effect or Chino making that throaty sound during the intro. That 2 seconds is fucking cool bc idk and it goes with it so well. If that makes sense ::)

Far away

Are (some) people complaining about the lack of complexity in a Deftones song? Really?
Stef is not Steve Vai or Kirk Hammet. They have plenty of amazing songs that have like 3 chords, yet, they are very dinamic and have their fingerprint all over it. Why start complaining now? Its not like hes going to, suddenly, start playing complex shit.

Yes, they have a good amount of songs using the same notes/chords/harmonics rearranged in a different order or whatever. Still, most of their songs do not sound the same, at all. Maybe a couple.

A bunch of 'Im a weekend musician so they should do this, or that, to make the song better', really pisses me off.

Get over it.

Visionz

How about right before Chino sings "were miles beyond the sound!" for the last time at the very end of that last chorus how Stephs guitar climbs like that with Chino's voice in those few seconds?! :o FUCKING POWERFUL AND BEAUTIFUL.....like PERFECT

As he's singing "were floating thru the ether"...its right at ether his guitar just screams

Visionz

Quote from: Far away on Sep 27, 2020, 08:22 PM
Are (some) people complaining about the lack of complexity in a Deftones song? Really?
Stef is not Steve Vai or Kirk Hammet. They have plenty of amazing songs that have like 3 chords, yet, they are very dinamic and have their fingerprint all over it. Why start complaining now? Its not like hes going to, suddenly, start playing complex shit.

Ignore em, its easy. Plenty of good conversation otherwise.. the musicians cant help themselves i guess

Yes, they have a good amount of songs using the same notes/chords/harmonics rearranged in a different order or whatever. Still, most of their songs do not sound the same, at all. Maybe a couple.

A bunch of 'Im a weekend musician so they should do this, or that, to make the song better', really pisses me off.

Get over it.

Shadow46/2

Spell, Radiant, Urantia, and ESPECIALLY Headless. Wow that track is beautiful.

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.