Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

from_musings

Quote from: Draken on Oct 29, 2020, 01:12 AM
Quote from: from_musings on Oct 29, 2020, 01:05 AM
Quote from: Sal_Ameigh on Oct 29, 2020, 12:41 AM
There was a point they never had guest vocalists then you had White Pony. There was a point Frank was never in the band. Then they added Frank and expanded their sound.

frank did stuff on adrenaline and atf "to expand their sound". also: they had a guest vocalist before white pony (mx/atf)

I wouldn't call what Abe's wife did as a "guest vocalist", but yeah ATF had Max Cavalera on Headup.

she wasn't a band member that's fore sure

Sal_Ameigh

Quote from: from_musings on Oct 29, 2020, 01:05 AM
Quote from: Sal_Ameigh on Oct 29, 2020, 12:41 AM
There was a point they never had guest vocalists then you had White Pony. There was a point Frank was never in the band. Then they added Frank and expanded their sound.

frank did stuff on adrenaline and atf "to expand their sound". also: they had guest vocalists before white pony (max cavalera and annalyn cunningham)

Right about Max. But my point exactly about Frank. Frank wasn't a member when the band first started out when they initially played live in the club days. They expanded their sound by adding Frank. There's still room for the band to grow. If they wanted to. And without completely changing who they are. Like on the next album I wouldn't want Abe to play double bass on every song all throughout every song, Chino do Death Metal or Black type vocals, Sergio play slap bass, Stef add pinch harmonics at the end of every riff, etc.

Quote from: xtalaphextwin on Oct 29, 2020, 12:53 AMThat's pretty interesting, I felt Deftones really expanded on this album, I really was entertained by it mostly. I felt that the Tool album lacked dynamics in sound, if you go back and listen to Tool's last album before the new one (10,000 Days) the dynamics on that one are crazy, listen to a song like Right In Two, or The pot, so many different sounds and shifts in dynamics in just one song, FI felt like one long boring song to me. Was super disappointed by the Tool album.

Specifically how do you think Deftones expanded on this album compared to other albums? Frank being more involved? Stefs 9 string?

I actually really liked the last new Tool album and didn't think it sounded boring at all!

E-Money

Had to give the album a break.. hate to say it but I was loosing interest. Been having some personal issues and didn't want to associate this album with a bad time for me personally. Gave it a 3 week break and just listened to it again today.

I absolutely love the first 5 songs on this record. Was nice to get some chills again from them tonight. Second half is ok but still hasn't blown me away .

Error is my jam. Chino is gorgeous on it.

Far away

Quote from: E-Money on Oct 30, 2020, 02:57 AM
Been having some personal issues and didn’t want to associate this album with a bad time for me personally.

Hope things get better as soon as possible! I understand the feeling of trying to avoid associating something special to a bad phase or whatever.
Funny history (???), I used to date this girl back in 2011 and she was big on Deftones too. The first time we had sex she asked me to leave them playing on the background and I said no. Til this day she has no clue why.
The thing is, as much as their songs are so fitting for sex, no way I'd use them as a background for it, with any girl. I also dont want to associate their songs with some drama bulshit or bad breakup.

Its weird, I know, but I love music THAT much. Sex is great, but I'd reather put some random crap I dont really pay attention to or care about.

Yeah, yeah, too much information, sorry... lol

nineteen

I can imagine the Jesus Christ bit of Pompeji on a song from Mellon Collie or something. It's just weirdly Pumpkins and cool.

punkflop01

Only just noticed those intense breathing noises that Chino makes at the end of This Link is Dead.  I find something new to love about this album every time I return to it!

LG95

This song breakdown from Chino on the title track is awesome https://songexploder.net/deftones

Includes clips from Stef's original demo and them jamming out the idea in the studio.
I could float here forever

Draken

That's so awesome to hear the demo! Thanks!

Quote from: LG95 on Nov 04, 2020, 10:18 PM
This song breakdown from Chino on the title track is awesome https://songexploder.net/deftones

Includes clips from Stef's original demo and them jamming out the idea in the studio.

Sleeping_Giant

It would be great to hear more stuff like that, great episode 8)

punkflop01

oh man thank you so much for this! Was a real treat. Would love to hear the band break down each song from the new album like this !

mono

Amazing stuff, thanks a lot!!

Penicks

it's been a while since chino's been so eloquent. hardly any youknow or youknowwhatimeans

Vesanic

secretbandinsider

We didn't get to hear Genesis live at a normal non-social-distanced concert. We were robbed. Hearing that groove with a good crowd would have been wild.

N0S3BLEED976

That breakdown of the inception of Ohms was great. Can anyone identify the effect responsible for Stef's guitar tone? Is it an octave fuzz or just an octaver?

secretbandinsider

I'm not sure, but Ohms is such an incredible song. I had some growing pains with it at first, but my god. Utter perfection.

Sleeping_Giant

LG95

I could float here forever

Vesanic

I just can't stand his fake high pitched laugh. It is so forced. Like come on.

Penicks