Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Dredg

Started by Martin, Dec 12, 2009, 10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theis

Drew is such a weirdo, haha.

mr.sinister

Menos el Oso

Looks like I'll be seeing them live again in Houston.

dredg will kick off a headlining tour with The Dear Hunter, Balance And Composure and Trophy Fire in early May. The official press release for the tour, which also provides more insight into the bands new album "Chuckles And Mr. Squeezy" (due May 03rd through Superball Music, can be found below:

"May 3 is going to be a special day for dredg, with the launch of the first round of headlining tour dates (along with The Dear Hunter, Balance and Composure, and Trophy Fire) and the release of their Dan The Automator-produced CHUCKLES AND MR. SQUEEZY on Superball Music.

The songs on CHUCKLES AND MR. SQUEEZY are largely based in rhythm, some of them heavy on loops, an influence clearly drawn from Dan, clearly evident on tracks such as "Upon Returning," "The Thought of Losing You," and "The Ornament." Although the tones and pacing shift as the album progresses, the songs all fall under the category of what singer Gavin Hayes calls "dark pop."

"The Thought of Losing You," driven by a surging guitar riff, achieves emotional depth through simplicity rather than over-complication while "Upon Returning" pairs rough-edged guitars with Gavin's ambient vocals that soar in juxtaposition with the grinding instrumentals. A shadowed mood hovers under the music, lending a sense of pensive introspection to the songs, but in the end the album emerges as a beacon of optimism.

For nearly eight months, beginning last winter, the band members—-Gavin Hayes (vocals, guitars), Drew Roulette (bass, samples), Mark Engles (guitars) and Dino Campanella (drums, keyboards)–sent songs back and forth over e-mail, allowing the tracks to slowly build and layer under individual microscopes.

Producer Dan the Automator was brought into the process early, imbuing the entire development with a distinct sense of collaboration that married dredg's signature style with Dan's visionary approach. "I had a deal with them," Dan says.

"I said, 'I'm going to make a bunch of tracks for you guys and whatever you do has to be better than these tracks or they're going to be the album.' I felt like setting a bar for them. dredg has been a band that's been around for a long time and they're comfortable with each. I wanted to shake them out of familiar habits and patterns."

Part of this fresh approach arrived during the recording process, a relatively short period of time that forced the band to feel the sensations of their music rather than spend too much time perfecting them. The group spent two days at Studio Trilogy in San Francisco and one day at David Chloe's art studio in Los Angeles.

recording in September and did the rest of the work at Dan's home studio in the Bernal Heights neighborhood of San Francisco. The sessions were casual, focused on urging emotion from the music, with both spontaneity and rawness in the recorded takes. The band even used sounds from the demoing process on the actual album tracks, an extraordinary new method for them.

"For me this a renewal kind of record," Gavin says. "It feels different and in some ways it feels like a new band. That was my goal when working with the band and with Dan was to make something we'd never done. Hopefully people can see the band in a new light. We can mold to different things and there is a future for the band when it comes to creating.""

Dates for the bands aforementioned headlining run can be found below:

05/03 Los Angeles, CA – Roxy
05/04 Los Angeles, CA – Roxy
05/05 San Francisco, CA – Great American Music Hall
05/06 San Francisco, CA – Great American Music Hall
05/07 Sacramento, CA – Ace of Spades
05/10 Salt Lake City, UT – Avalon Theatre
05/11 Denver, CO – Marquis Theatre
05/13 St. Louis, MO – The Firebird
05/14 Chicago, IL – The Bottom Lounge
05/15 Pontiac, MI – The Eagle Theatre
05/16 Cleveland Heights, OH – Grog Shop
05/18 Boston, MA – Paradise Rock Club
05/19 New York, NY – Highline Ballroom
05/20 Philadelphia, PA – The Trocadero
05/21 Baltimore, MD – Bourbon Street
05/23 Atlanta, GA – The Masquerade
05/25 New Orleans, LA – House of Blues
05/26 Houston, TX – The Studio @ Warehouse Live
05/27 Austin, TX – Emo's
05/28 Dallas, TX – Granada Theatre

source: http://www.theprp.com/2011/03/07/news/dredg-reveal-may-headlining-run-with-the-dear-hunter-balance-and-composure-etc/

skinnypuppy

black coffee

So they might be here for the Summer festivals and a few off-dates!

[/Optimism]

theis

Track-listing:

1. Another Tribe
2. Upon Returning
4. The Tent
5. Somebody is Laughing
6. Down Without a Fight
7. The Ornament
8. The Thought of Losing You
9. Kalathat
10. Sun Goes Down
11. Where I'll End Up
12. Before it Began

BBfan

No Canadian dates. Do not like :(

Menos el Oso

New dredg Song Available For Streaming

A new dredg song by the name of "The Thought Of Losing You" has been making the rounds online lately and can be heard below. The track is expected to appear on the bands new album "Chuckles And Mr. Squeezy", which is scheduled for a May 05th release date.

http://www.theprp.com/2011/03/13/news/new-dredg-song-available-for-streaming/

It's ok.. Not groundbreaking, or anything like that, but I'll jam to it for now, until the new album comes out. Hopefully it's just a filler song.

DL Links:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ncfmco 320 kbps
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9N8RQPO6 128kps

theis

Really bland song. It's not awful, but it's completely underwhelming.

Yeah, let's hope it's a filler/typical radio single.

Edit: 320kbps link -  http://www.sendspace.com/file/ncfmco

Edit 2: Okay this song is already growing on me. It's simple, yes, but there's something "pretty" about it. Really dig the chorus.

E-Money

That was probably the worst song they have ever written, damn...

pinkmaggit69

Dredg is amazing.....this song is not.

Drinks won't stain this birth!

Menos el Oso

Now I'm getting a bad feeling about this collab with Dan the Automator..

Oldnewtype

Sounds like dredg to me.

Badass bassline.

Hesperian Death-Horse!

Shit. About a minute into this song and I'm thinking; "Just press El Cielo to vinyl and maybe call it a day or at least try to be better than this." Last album was disappointing. CWA was a little lackluster. Steadily getting less good. Its sad. I really loved these guys for a while. There's evolution and then there's devolution. This feels like the latter. I hate to say it and I'm drunk right now so who knows how things will look tomorrow but this is not dredg quality. That was the fastest three and a half minutes of my life and it was not very good.

theis

This song is 10 times better than Saviour. Remember when that song came out? Everyone was bitching about it and saying how much TPTPTD would suck and that ended up being an amazing album.

dawg

here are two new promotion pictures in high quality

http://www.mlk.com/presse/dredg/1271-live_2011/DredgCorp4072.jpg
http://www.mlk.com/presse/dredg/1271-live_2011/DredgRodentPicnic.jpg

btw did anyone think about that the song "The Ornament" could be the same from the CWA time?

Hesperian Death-Horse!

Quote from: theis on Mar 14, 2011, 09:51 AM
This song is 10 times better than Saviour. Remember when that song came out? Everyone was bitching about it and saying how much TPTPTD would suck and that ended up being an amazing album.

I actually like "Saviour" better than this song even with the shitty synth bass. Pariah was a disappointment for me as well. Couldn't get into it. Maybe 5 solid tracks on it. CWA was the beginning of the downfall for this band. When I heard pretty much the entire album (CWA) in live pre-release bootleg renditions, it sounded like it was the perfect follow up to El Cielo but once I got the record and heard how over-polished it was, I started getting a bad feeling about their direction. Pariah wasn't so much over-polished as it was just bland in general. I'm sure a lot of people could refer to El Cielo as bland too but there is just something outstanding in its sense of melody and presentation. "I'm Sorry But Its Over" is kind of a throw away track in the grand scheme of things but still I'd rather listen that than this or Pariah.

Menos el Oso

Quote from: dawg on Mar 14, 2011, 03:40 PM
here are two new promotion pictures in high quality

http://www.mlk.com/presse/dredg/1271-live_2011/DredgCorp4072.jpg
http://www.mlk.com/presse/dredg/1271-live_2011/DredgRodentPicnic.jpg

btw did anyone think about that the song "The Ornament" could be the same from the CWA time?

Yea, they've performed that song live a couple of times. I wonder how the studio version is going to sound.

Dredg - The Ornament

mr.sinister

I like it. Typical radio lead single song. Its good but not great but I think that one time dredg said "when choosing a single, pick the song the band likes the least".

Catchy though.