"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaz

The more I hear TLID & Radiant City the more they remind me of Faith No More

Sal_Ameigh

Quote from: plagasx on Oct 17, 2020, 02:39 AM
Quote from: E-Money on Oct 13, 2020, 08:32 PM
I'd also like to hear less screamy verses and soft chorus's.. if it's a softer song make it a softer song... don't need to be screaming just to do it... I feel like Chino pushed screaming where he didn't need to on some songs..

I agree. I really wanted a slower atmospheric song on the album in the same vein as a Sextape or Beauty School. We got close with Pompeji but I feel like his screams, while good, were unnecessary in that song.

The people have spoken. Be cool if Deftones got together in the next few months and recorded a slower atmospheric single with no screaming that went direct to streaming.

only pieces remain

I find it hilarious that everyone wanted chino to scream on this album. He does on virtually every track sans ohms now everyone is clamoring for slow, sextape type songs with no screaming. If this album would've been all softer, slower tracks y'all would complain there is little to no screaming. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Haha.

Draken

100% true

Deftones give 0 fucks what any of us want to hear, that's why they're still relevant and enjoy what they do.

rainnyx4

Quote from: only pieces remain on Oct 17, 2020, 04:40 PM
I find it hilarious that everyone wanted chino to scream on this album. He does on virtually every track sans ohms now everyone is clamoring for slow, sextape type songs with no screaming. If this album would've been all softer, slower tracks y'all would complain there is little to no screaming. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Haha.

I didn't necessarily want Chino to scream on this album. I wanted this to be a Deftones album, which means yes, there will be screaming. But, there will also be everything else we expect from them (dynamics, time changes, weird time signatures, unorthodox song structures, intros/outros/interludes, ballads, electronic elements, etc.), and hopefully some unexpected/new things. To my chagrin, we didn't really get any ballads or much new out of the band on this one. Sergio is stepping up his influence on tracks with every album which I dig. I also dig the additional use of synths, but I wish it had been more than just eerie background chords to beef up the melodies. Would like to hear more actual piano lines out of Frank (I know Chino wrote Anniversary, but I would love to see some more stuff like that) and a return of some of the soundscaping via turntables like we saw on earlier stuff like on Change. I also really miss weird shit like Teenager, Lucky You, Konami Code, and even Pink Cellphone, as they brought a lot of diversity to their albums and kept it interesting. This album very much felt formulaic. None of it is really bad (Deftones are like pizza, even bad pizza is still pretty good) it just felt very samey. Pretty much every song had a heavy part, a soft part, and something thrown in there to mix it up a little. To quote Chino, every song felt like it had achieved "balance." I'd prefer it if the album itself was balanced over the course of it. Some songs are soft, some are heavy, some are both, some are what you'd expect out of the band, and some come out of left-field. Didn't really get that on this one.

Visionz

I think Urantia, TSOM,and Pompeji were pretty fresh.... Sergio era anyways. Maybe it was the long calm second halves of the latter 2, but Urantia was different for me for some reason. I think it was the lyrics and song writing by Chino. It was a little more direct than usual at least some parts. The album really does have balance. Look at the closeness of the poll here... imo there's no fillers. I cant get into TLID but its still something they seemed to really go for

DenakDW

Every Ohms track are my current favorite tracks.
And all the days I've missed you 🍂

only pieces remain

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Oct 17, 2020, 09:13 PM
Quote from: only pieces remain on Oct 17, 2020, 04:40 PM

I didn't necessarily want Chino to scream on this album. I wanted this to be a Deftones album, which means yes, there will be screaming. But, there will also be everything else we expect from them (dynamics, time changes, weird time signatures, unorthodox song structures, intros/outros/interludes, ballads, electronic elements, etc.), and hopefully some unexpected/new things. To my chagrin, we didn't really get any ballads or much new out of the band on this one. Sergio is stepping up his influence on tracks with every album which I dig. I also dig the additional use of synths, but I wish it had been more than just eerie background chords to beef up the melodies. Would like to hear more actual piano lines out of Frank (I know Chino wrote Anniversary, but I would love to see some more stuff like that) and a return of some of the soundscaping via turntables like we saw on earlier stuff like on Change. I also really miss weird shit like Teenager, Lucky You, Konami Code, and even Pink Cellphone, as they brought a lot of diversity to their albums and kept it interesting. This album very much felt formulaic. None of it is really bad (Deftones are like pizza, even bad pizza is still pretty good) it just felt very samey. Pretty much every song had a heavy part, a soft part, and something thrown in there to mix it up a little. To quote Chino, every song felt like it had achieved "balance." I'd prefer it if the album itself was balanced over the course of it. Some songs are soft, some are heavy, some are both, some are what you'd expect out of the band, and some come out of left-field. Didn't really get that on this one.

I miss the electric/weird tracks ala teenager/lucky you/pink cellphone as well. Since Chino hadn't worked on any of his side projects in a while I was a bit hopeful we'd get something similar on Ohms but alas.

976-EVIL

This Record continues to grow on me.

Cannot wait to hear it live. Especially hopeful the play Pompeji and TLID in succession as on the Album. Would be epic!
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

976-EVIL

Damn...This place is death?
Anyone else got the Ohms T-shirt package
and the shirt sucks?

secretbandinsider

Ohms and Spell are far and away my fave on the record. Ceremony is up there as well.

Vesanic

Quote from: 976-EVIL on Oct 18, 2020, 07:55 AM
Damn...This place is death?
Anyone else got the Ohms T-shirt package
and the shirt sucks?

The t-shirt looks cool to me, but it had a weird smell on reception.

Gaz

The album flow is perfect, nearly a month since it's release and it keeps getting better for me, TLID still hasn't grown on me, so thats the only song I skip

Visionz

Im not the only one that believes TLID is likely for their fanbase:

"I have no patience for expectation" screams vocalist Chino Moreno toward the end of TLID, a track toward the end of the new Deftones album, Ohms. The line doubles as a charged lyric in a song in which he also screams "Im filled with true hatred" and as a rallying cry for his band, which for years has navigated the perilous line between it's own creative vision and what it's fanbase wants - or, more to the point, "expects". - Rock Cellar Magazine

When i mentioned it, someone here refused to believe it to the point they seemed aggrivated with me about it  ;D but then, what else is it about then? Btw, its the only track i still cant listen all the way through still

976-EVIL

Quote from: Visionz on Oct 19, 2020, 09:17 PM
Im not the only one that believes TLID is likely for their fanbase:

"I have no patience for expectation" screams vocalist Chino Moreno toward the end of TLID, a track toward the end of the new Deftones album, Ohms. The line doubles as a charged lyric in a song in which he also screams "Im filled with true hatred" and as a rallying cry for his band, which for years has navigated the perilous line between it's own creative vision and what it's fanbase wants - or, more to the point, "expects". - Rock Cellar Magazine

When i mentioned it, someone here refused to believe it to the point they seemed aggrivated with me about it  ;D but then, what else is it about then? Btw, its the only track i still cant listen all the way through still

I think I get where you are coming from. However I just can't believe the band is filled up with true hate for its fan base and it's opinions. Not sure they care that much lol

RoyalDeftonicBoy

976-EVIL

Quote from: RoyalDeftonicBoy on Oct 20, 2020, 02:57 AM
Finally home!

Nice! Good to see several of you guys finally getting your stuff.

punkflop01

Has anyone tried making mix with Gore & Ohms? I get the feel like like maybe i'd appreciate some of the Gore songs more if they were mixed with the Ohms tracks.  Or I'll end up hating Ohms for it haha.

Gaz

I replaced TLID with WGTB, works for me!

Vesanic

I'm calling on Ceremony being the next single, although it would be such a cool move if they used TSOM. A long time buddy of mine who never was able to get into them was amazed by the creativity of the song.